Prison

"Aw, come on!" he groaned when he saw the amount of damage to the bridge. There was no way he was going to cross that gap. He looked to his left and gazed at the smoke blotting out the square sun. He then realized that the smoke was coming from on top of the floating prison off in the distance. He cursed inwardly at the sight of the crashed helicopter.

  He heard a chorus of growls, so he looked back. His eyes widened at the hoard of monsters trapping him at the edge. It would be impossible for him to be able to take them all out, there were way too many.

  Considering his options, he gulped and glanced down at the river. He had heard about how jumping into water from up high was dangerous. The chances he would survive were slim, but he would take it. Besides, he had to see whether or not the occupants of the helicopter had survived.

  So, he held his breath and jumped.

  The water rushing up to meet him along with the thought of death was enough to make him scream his lungs out. Luckily, he thought rationally enough to plunge straight down in a pencil dive.

Jaw clenched, he stuck his arms out and kicked back up to the surface. Upon reaching the surface, he took in a huge breath of air and screamed again.

  He twisted himself around, bobbing up and down as the current pushed him slowly away. Seeing this, he took another breath and began stroking towards the floating prison. "Swim hero... Swim!" he muttered to himself. After a minutes, he grabbed the slippery deck and hauled himself on. His body shivered in the afternoon sun.

  "Okay," he panted. "I've made it." He trudged towards the entrance. He opened his guns and poured out river water as he walked.

  He swung the doors open, revolver at the ready. Almost immediately, a stalker crawled in, which he shot dead. Unamused, he strolled out into the hall. There, he blasted away at the monsters charging him, feeling a pang of guilt as he took out the undead prisoners and prison guards.

  "Ow!" He punted a red spider away from his leg and killed it before taking out the rest around him. He was getting much better at fighting in confined spaces. Progress!

  "Now, where are the rest?" he asked himself as he walked outside. "Oh." He took care of the rest of the monsters by simply waiting for them to venture into the courtyard.

  Wanting to get the job done quickly, he went inside and killed the remaining zombies. He tensed up and looked around, expecting a final monster. He yelled and jumped back as he narrowly missed being socked in the face by a huge prisoner zombie with a metal head.

  'Oh, damn,' he thought as it cornered him in a dead end near the cells. He opened fire with the army rifle. At the last moment, he jumped away as it socked him in the ribs.

  Despite having the wind nearly knocked out of him, he lept away. He zeroed in on its head and opened fire.