Chapter 29

I worked Sunday as well, so I was at the pier from early in the morning till the middle of the afternoon. Sara wanted to go shopping when I was finished my shift, which I agreed to. However, my mom went to go visit my grandparents so I promised I would make dinner, meaning I couldn't be out too late.

I clocked out, said goodbye to Tony and walked out onto the pier, where Sara was sitting on a bench waiting for me. 

"Ready?" I asked, as she was looking at her phone.  

"Yeah, give me a minute, I'm just putting in the hours I just got from work into my calendar," she answered. When she was finished, we walked down to the parking lot so we could get in my car, but as we were walking, Sara grabbed my arm suddenly. 

"Dear God, what is wrong with you?" I asked, giving her a strange look. 

"Nothing," she blurted out. "Just don't look to your left." 

Of course, I looked left anyway to see what she was talking about. I gasped, almost dropping my bottle of water and phone out of my hands. 

Shane was walking out of the surf shop with ANOTHER GIRL. I recognized her from my Calculus class. She was a sophomore! What the hell was he doing with another girl, let alone a girl two years younger than him?!

I quickly glanced away as Sara hit me in the arm. "I told you not to look," she scolded. 

"Please tell me they didn't see us," I whispered to her, but she tensed up and I could tell by her facial expression that it was too late now. 

"Motherfucker," she muttered under her breath as Shane and his friend came over to us. "Hey guys, do you know Melanie?" 

I can't believe that's the first thing out of his mouth. My first instinct was to slap. Second, was to say something incredibly unladylike and offensive. Back up plan was throwing the middle finger. 

I bit my tongue really, REALLY hard so that whatever came out my mouth didn't make me sound like a complete monster. If Shane wanted to resort to Annie level maturity, I was not going to stoop that low. 

I stuck my hand out and smiled. "I think we are in the same math class, but I don't think we've ever been formally introduced. I'm Riley," I said, as politely as I could without adding an expletive in there somewhere. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sara looking at me, trying to figure out what my angle was, but eventually she mirrored my nice act and pretended like this was totally fine. 

"We were just shopping around and I found this really cute top in there," she said an almost child like voice. 

God, for your sake, I hope that's not your regular speaking voice, I thought. It was what you would expect a mouse's voice to sound like had it been given the ability to talk. 

"Shane told me you work there, is that right?" she asked Sara. 

Sara, like a real team player, nodded her head stiffly and threw on a really strange looking smile that looked more like a grimace. I tried really hard not to laugh.

"Well, it was really nice meeting you guys," she said with a wide smile. 

If only you knew you were being used, you sweet innocent thing. I gave her a smile and said that it was great meeting her too. Then, I turned to Shane, gave him the most artificial smile I could muster and grabbed Sara, practically dragging her down the pier. 

When we were out of ear shot I turned to her, steaming. "Can you believe that?" I practically yelled. "How old is he, eleven?!"

She shook her head. "I told you this whole anger thing was an act, and I still think it is, but that was low," she said.