Chapter 14

Around 7:00, I heard the car horn outside my window. I ran downstairs, made sure to lock the door behind me, and got into Shane's car, ready to let loose. I really needed this. The past couple of days had been very stressful and with college apps needing to go out soon, I was really focused on my classes and getting as high of grades as I possibly could. NYU wasn't going to be easy to get into. 

"You look great," Shane said, kissing my cheek as I buckled myself in. 

I thanked him and we were on our way. I turned the radio up and let the wind blow through my hair as we drove to Trevor's house. I had no idea where he lived, but I figured Shane would be driving home anyway. Then, I remembered that I never asked Sara and Lacey if they were going. I texted them both quickly as Shane took us down another couple of streets. Now that I thought about it, I didn't think I had ever met Trevor either. 

"Hey Shane?" I asked. "How do you know Trevor?" 

He looked over at me. "Why do you ask?" he laughed. "Afraid he's a drug dealer or something?" 

I laughed and then laughed a little nervously. "Wait, what?" 

He threw his head back. "No, he's not drug dealer, Riley, loosen up!" he shouted over the wind and music playing. "He and I used to play lacrosse together and it wasn't till later that I found out that his family and Annie's family were really good friends. He actually was the one that introduced me to her." 

"And you guys are still friends after you and Annie broke up?" I asked. 

Shane smiled. "Just because their families are friends, doesn't mean that Trevor likes her all that much." 

I laughed. if Trevor could tell that Annie was a bitch, I had a feeling I would like him. You know, when I actually got around to meeting him. 

My phone buzzed in my lap. It was Sara, replying to my text. It read:

"No, it's not really my scene. Most of the people that go are the popular bitches. Trev's nice, but those parties tend to get kind of raunchy, just an FYI."

Raunchy? I mean, I kind of guessed that there would be drinking, and yes, people make out and hook up at parties. But how raunchy could it possibly get? After all, it wasn't a college party. I imagined those to be much raunchier than any high school party could ever be. I put my phone down and ignored Sara's text. I was going to have fun tonight and no one, not even Annie could prevent me from having a night worth remembering so that I could forget the events of the past couple of weeks. 

****

By the time we got to Trevor's house, the place was packed. People were everywhere stereotypically standing around with red Solo cups. They were inside, outside and out back behind the house. Music was blasting loud out of the windows and different colored lights could be seen from outside. This seemed like fun to me!

"Are you ready?" Shane said, grabbing my hand and giving it a squeeze. He looked really excited. 

"You look really pumped, Shane, what's going on in that head of yours?" I asked. 

He smiled, not letting go of my hand. "I'm just glad you and I are getting to go out as a couple now," he said. 

I smiled back at him and was about to respond when a guy I had to assume to be Trevor ran up to Shane and gave him a huge hug. 

"Yo, Shane, my man, I'm so glad you could come!" he said, slightly muffled being buried in Shane's shoulder. 

Shane clapped him on the back. "Yeah, thanks for inviting, man. This place looks great!" He let go and stepped to the side, resting his hand on my shoulder. "This is Riley," he said with a smile.