Chapter 8

I peeked around the door and into kitchen. Nothing. Nobody in there. I heard the slight sound of murmuring from in the dining room, but still I couldn't make out what voices I was hearing. I did smell brownies however, which was a good sign. 

First, because I'm addicted to food and brownies are always a positive thing to see. And second, my mom is domestic, and yes, she's been out of the dating world for a while, but I don't think even SHE would bake brownies for a date with someone. 

So, using my razor sharp detective skills, I....well, who I am kidding. In classic Riley fashion, I walked into the room without a hesitation because I was too impatient to wait on my own. My mom was alone, sitting at the kitchen table when I turned the corner. All of a sudden, that psych ward was so much closer to calling my name. I definitely heard voices. Or did I? 

"Oh, Riley, you're home!" my mom said, gesturing for me to sit down. 

"Hey, Mom, what exactly is going on?" I asked. "I thought I heard-" 

"Well look who finally started to grow up." 

That time, when I heard the voice I knew exactly who it was. "Chris?" I asked surprised. 

My brother, for some odd reason, was walking out of the bathroom at that exact moment. I ran to him, jumping into his arms and giving him the biggest hug possible. He was about 5 inches taller than me, so when I say 'jump', I wasn't exaggerating. Also, he had to get in some serious physical condition for the army, so he was lot bigger than me when it came to muscle size too. 

"What are you doing here? I thought you were overseas!" I asked, ecstatic that he was actually standing in front of me. 

"I have a little time to come home before I go for my last tour. And this is my last tour, I promise," he said, rubbing my head, like I was a child. 

"Ha ha, very funny," I said, fixing my now messed up hair. "You're gone for months, and the first thing you manage to do is piss me off. Nice to see you, too, asshole," I joked. 

He laughed. "Some things don't change," he yelled to me as I walked upstairs to put my bag away. 

"Ain't that the truth," I yelled back. 

****

"Oh God, how do you THINK school is going?" I responded sarcastically, shoving a brownie into my mouth. Still warm, just the way I like them. 

"Is it really that bad?" he asked, laughing at my incredulity. I nodded, giving a wide eyed, unspoken "PLEASE KILL ME NOW" kind of look. He smirked at me. My mother, catching this unspoken exchange rolled her eyes. 

"Oh for God's sake, just learn sign language already so you don't look so weird," she said, getting up and filling her glass back up with more water. 

"It can't really be that bad," he said, trying to get me to admit that I as just bluffing, high school is just a fucking walk in the park. 

"Look, dude, I don't know how long it's been since you were inside a high school, but 'Abandon all hope, ye who enter here', would do quite well over each class room and the secretaries in the office might as well dress up as the Grim Reaper every morning, because they are the gate keepers to the place where dreams come to die." 

He laughed, and took another brownie from the plate in the center of the table. "Your sarcasm has gotten quite good, I'll give you that," he said, brownie bumping me. 

"Thank you, hold your applause," I said, pretending to bow. 

"It makes up about 90% of what comes out of her mouth," my mother chimed in.