Chp. 38

***KATE’S POV*** 

The next morning came quickly, making me realize that today was the day this would all end. It was so surreal, thinking about killing and protecting my family, but I had no other way to ensure our safety. The mood throughout the cabin was mellow and sad, also holding plenty of anxiety along with it. We were all on edge, not only from the fight approaching but the Full Moon was tonight, making us all feel slightly more enraged than usual. 

Jennifer’s naked body was still and quite, I didn’t want to wake her but I knew we had to prepare for today.

Plus I had something I needed her to have on her while we were away deep in the woods. 

I gazed at her through the morning sunlight, it was hitting her face so I didn’t understand how she wasn’t waking up yet. She was perfect, the way her skin was golden with the sun rays dancing off of it. She looked like an angel, and for a moment I pretended she was, and she was in love with me. 

I still don’t understand how I got so lucky.

I shifted my weight in hopes to get her moving and she did, her soft eye lids fluttering as the sun threatened to his her irises. 

She opened her blue eyes, making them shine in the sunlight and she squinted, “Morning.”

I smiled weakly, not even wanting to say it because I knew what it held. It was the dreaded morning none of us wanted to face, we were nervous, and today was the day. 

I sat up, not bothering to bring the sheets up with me, “I have something I need to show you.” I lifted myself off of the bed, tugging on some loose sweats and a muscle shirt. She leaned up, actually holding the comforter to her chest like all the girls in the movies the morning after sex. 

I gazed at her, she was mesmerizing, her long, silky brown hair that fell over her shoulders and past her chest. Her blue irises were glowing with confusion and sunlight, giving her the most sexiest look I’ve ever witnessed. 

She mumbled, “What? Does my hair look bad?”

I pulled out of my dream-like state and shook my head, “No, you look like an angel.”

I saw her blush, and this allowed me to continue to walk over to my dresser and pull out a pistol, waving it in front of her. 

She nearly gasped, “Kate where the hell did you get that?”

“My dad owns one, he kept it in his office and showed me where it was in case I ever needed to use it. I want you to have it in your possession today while we are gone. Protect yourself and anyone else if things go wrong. One bullet to the head will kill any one of our kind.”

She sighed, “I’m not that great of a shot.”

“Then try to hit close, it’s automatic anyway so you have 12 attempts to kill before you have to reload.”