Chp. 9

Me and Emma were currently sitting in a restaurant, talking about school and some guy she was interested in, which was nothing new. She sighed, sipping on her glass of water, “How do I make him come to me, I don’t want to seem clingy but, I want to know if he likes me.”

I looked at her, I knew she was asking me this because I was like a guy, I acted like one anyway. I shrugged, “Make him text you first, and don’t text back right away, it’ll drive him crazy if he really wants to talk to you. Flirt, let him know you’re interested, just don’t seem creepy about it.”

She tilted her head, “Seem creepy?”

I laughed, “Like clingy.”

We continued to eat, and I felt some sense of uneasiness at the table, but I figured it was because she wanted to know what I had been doing last night. I didn’t know what to tell her, I didn’t know if I should tell her I was adopted, what would she do?

I mean I trusted Emma, with everything in me, but that was a really big secret, and was she going to be there for me? Or was she going to know, like everyone else? 

She studied me further, asking, “You ok?”

I nodded, “Yea, just thinking.”

“Something’s been off with you lately,” she peered at me from the other side of the table, and I knew she was right. 

I just didn’t know how to tell her. 

I scratched my head and shrugged, “There has been.”

This seemed to worry her, and her face changed slightly at my response. She leaned in, “You wanna talk about it?”

I nodded, “I don’t know how to say this, but… I just found out. Emma, I’m adopted.”

She squinted in confusion, “Adopted? Are you fucking with me right now, Kate?”

I shook my head, twirling my fork in my pasta, “No, I asked my parents about it and they told me. I mean, I don’t love them any less, it’s just… it’s been on my mind.”

I wasn’t lying, I mean, it had been on my mind, but there was so much more to it that I couldn’t tell her. She was human, and I couldn’t reveal the entire truth to her, she spoke, “Wow, well, do you know who your real parents are?”

I shook my head, “I was left on a doorstep when I was a baby, according to my parents.”

She sat back in the booth, just staring at me with shock, “Wow, I’m sorry you just found out, I’m here for you if you need.”

I smiled, “I know Emma,” I looked at my watch, seeing that I really needed to get going, I was well over an hour late. I pushed, “I don’t mean to be rude but I have somewhere to be, I’ll text you tonight ok?”

She nodded, “Yea of course, thanks for lunch.”