Chapter 45: Just Friends?

Melanie's P.O.V:

"Please don't do anything to him." I cry and he aims his gun back at Zayn, making my eyes wide. That is when I hear a loud bang and see blood all around me.

"Aiden, what did you do?!" I yell when I see the brown haired boy collapse on the ground in front of me.

"Run, Mel. Just go from here!" Aiden yells, panicking. At this moment my brain is not working, I have no idea what I should do.

"But Aid-"

"Melanie, just run away from here and don't look back!" He yells at me and I shift my eyes at Nolan's figure lying in front of me. Nolan is still alive, but Aiden has shot in both of his legs.

"I swear Melanie, if you leave this place, I'm going to kill you!" Nolan yells at me and I place my hands on my forehead, crying.

Aiden again aims his gun at Nolan's body and Nolan's eyes widen.

"This time, the bullet is going to hit you in your head, Nolan. Mel, just run from here, why can't you listen to me?!" He threatens Nolan, aiming the gun back at him, with shaky hands. Zayn steps forward and holds my hand.

"We gotta go, Melanie." Zayn says and pulls me along with him. I turn my head for the last time, and glance at Aiden. A tear escapes his eyes and he tells me to leave. I turn my head back and exit the room, with Zayn. We quickly find the way out of this creepy house and step outside when our eyes widen.

I've seen darkness before, the kind that makes our street like an old fashioned photograph, everything a shade of grey. This isn't like that. This is the darkness that robs you of your best sense and replaces it with a paralysing fear. We are in a forest, in which the sky vanishes almost completely, only a few fragments of rainy clouds remain- like scattered pieces of an impossible jigsaw puzzle. The air is rich with the fragrance of leaves and loam, damp too. This place looks ancient. The trees thick and old, roots that are twisted. It might once have been filled with bird-song and animals that roamed. But now it is ages past it's former glory. It's canopy is so dense that you could only see the occasional streak of moonlight that rarely touches the forest floor.

When my mind has ceased it's unproductive buzz, I am able to hear the boy beside me.

"Where the hell are we?" He says and I gulp, shaking my head. I have no idea if we are in our town anymore or not. His grip on my hand tightens and he pulls me forward. I look at him and he gives me an assuring look. I don't know if we'll make it to our homes alive or not.

He pushes a branch away from us and steps forward. In this darkness we can barely see anything. We stop dead in our tracks when we hear a gun shot from behind us. My hands begin to shake and I start panting. His head turns in my direction and I feel his touch on my cheeks.

"We gotta run, okay?" He asks me, and I quickly nod, tightening my grip on his hand. Next thing I know, we are running in the unknown forest. We have no idea what we should do besides running. After nonstop running for what seems like years, I tug Zayn's shirt.

"Zayn, look." I say, panting. He stops and turns to face me. I point in front of us and he follows my gaze. In front of us stood a small house made of wood. A light can be seen coming from there. Before I can start walking, everything around me starts spinning and I collapse on the ground.

"Melanie? Melanie, are you okay?" I hear faint voices of Zayn in my ears, but my lips feel as if they have been glued together as no voice comes out of my mouth and soon everything blacks out.

I hear some voices around me but my head hurts and I still feel unconscious to figure out what is happening around me.

"I don't know what I'd do without her. She has to wake up, she just suddenly fell and now she's not waking up. I'm freaking out, like she has to wake up now." I hear Zayn's panicking voice beside me. I still don't have energy to speak or open my eyes. I feel like I'm no longer in that forest, as the surface beneath me feels soft and comfortable. I feel a hand continously running in my hair, and my hand is held by someone.