Chapter 40: Friends?

Melanie's P.O.V:

"What happened to your eyes? You look...you look terrible." He says scooting a bit closer and stares at my face and eyes, with concern all over his face and I move my face away from him.

"Nothing, just tired, that's all. Why do you care anyways?" I say, scribbling on my notebook, with my pencil but he snatches it away from my hand.

"Bullshit. You're lying." He says and I scoot closer to take my pencil from him but he moves it away. I groan and move a little bit closer but he throws it away, making me groan a bit louder this time.

"Pick my up phone and pencil." I almost order him, and he shakes his head making me rub my face with my hands in annoyance. He says he will pick it up if I tell him the real reason. I again lie but he refuses to believe me and I groan after a while, finally giving in.

"I'm not feeling good because I didn't sleep the whole night." I say, not looking at him and rest my head on the desk, he scoots closer to me and rests his head on his desk, while facing me.

"Why didn't you sleep the whole night?" He asks me and I turn my head to face him, still on my desk, staring in his red and tired eyes. We both stare at each other and ignore the fact that we are in the middle of a lecture going on in our class.

"What happened to yours?" I say, ignoring his question and he takes a deep breathe before answering, not breaking our gaze from eachother. Of course I don't want him to know the reason.

"I didn't sleep the whole night too." He says, closing his beautiful hazel eyes, for a while which look tired and red. Was he also thinking about what happened between us? What was his reason for staying up all night and smoking? Of course he was depressed, and maybe I was the reason.

"Was I the reason?" I ask him and quickly regret the decision of asking him that. Sometimes, well, every time I should keep my mouth shut because I always say shit which embarrass me later. He nods to my surprise and asks me the same question, making me nervous. He couldn't sleep the whole night because of me? I don't know if I should be surprised or not because the feelings were mutual.

"Maybe," I say, looking at him and he stares at me with an unreadable expressions, making me confused. Silence finds it's way between us and we stare at each other without saying any word. Only the voice of our teacher can be heard, who is talking about something we don't know.

"Don't smoke," I again repeat, and he sighs closing his eyes for a while then opens them back, again locking his eyes with mine.

"You don't have to worry about me." I hear the words escape his mouth making me sigh. It's hard not to worry about the person who fought for you with someone, got scolded by his parents because of you, and is having sleepless nights because of you.

"No matter how hard I try to remind myself this, I will still end up worrying for you." I say closing my eyes when the giddiness begins to get hold of me.

"Weren't you the one who hated me?" He says in a calm tone and I chuckle, remembering my words. Sometimes what we think might stay forever, doesn't stay like that, it does change. Like my hatred towards Zayn.

"I did, but I'm not just sure of it anymore." I honestly answer him and try to figure out what his eyes are saying.

"Me neither," he says, taking a deep breathe and I smile to myself. All of this has really become awkward. I always felt that the war between Zayn and I will remain for eternity. But I guess that somethings have to change.

"We've been hating each other due to stupid reasons for three whole years." I say and chuckle, hearing light laugh come from his side. His lips having a beautiful smile lingering on them, making me admire them.