Chapter 6 | Taunting Reality

Not long after I sat down, someone spoke.
"Hey, good morning." Jordan greeted with his morning voice.
"Hey, how was your sleep?" I asked.
He took a seat across the table, right in front of me.

"It was good. How 'bout you? Did you dream about me?" he asked confidently.
"Wow." I sarcastically said.
He giggled and spoke.
"Just kidding but seriously, you looked like you saw a ghost, when you saw me."

"Uhm, well, I had a dream." I stuttered.
"What was it about?" he sat down and got an egg, some rice and bacon.
"Yeah. Uh actually it was more of a nightmare about uh my past." I uttered casually.
"What part of your past?"

"My first heartbreak," I drank some water, hoping that I could hold the tears inside.
"Oh. You've been in a romantic relationship?" he stutters.
"I don't know if I would call it a relationship." I spoke.

"Why?" he asks.
"Uh, it's complicated."
"I'll listen, I promise." he convinces.

"Okay, so how do I say this? Um, Alex was my first love. I had a huge crush on him but he was already in a relationship so he just became a happy crush." I discussed as everything flashes back into my head.
"Happy crush?"
"It's when you don't necessarily want to be with him, he just happens to have the ability to make you smile. Alex had a girlfriend so we couldn't be together."
"Oh. Okay, go on." he said.

"Alright, then. Uh, so he split up with his girl and after a few weeks, he courted me. He asked me to be his. I, since I had a crush on him, answered him. Little did I know that I was just a rebound." Before I knew it, tears were falling from my eyes.
"He split up with me because he still loved his ex." I started crying.
"Hey," he hugged me.

I was sobbing already. The side effects have arrived. They were worse this time around.
"He just let the most amazing girl in the universe go. It's gonna be his burden. Okay?" he patted me on the back.
This time, I felt my world stopping. I felt my heart jumping out of my chest. I felt my blood going crazy through my veins. My lungs were pumping so quick that I looked like I was getting some sort of attack.

"Shh."  he calmed me.
"Breathe in. Breathe out." he reminded.
"You don't need to continue, I'm sorry for asking." he suggested
"No I want to finish this. I promised to tell you my story. I keep my promises." I replied.

He let go of the hug and allowed me to speak.
I tried my best to breathe normally and avoided the side effects.
Slowly, I started to speak again and tried to stop crying.

"My parents never knew about this. I never told them. I thought I could handle it myself." I said.
"I cried every night. I kept on sobbing, hoping those tears could flush out the pain. One time, I tried to kill myself. I planned to use a knife and I was about to end it right there and then but I couldn't because I knew that if I did, I've allowed him ruin to me." I said.

"Ever since then, I became boyish. I didn't want to go back to that situation. I didn't want to be ruined so I fixed myself. Yes, I was boyish but that was in attitude. I fixed how I look and I never entertained anyone else." I spoke.
"Damn. You're strong." he commented.

"What about you?" I asked.
"What about me?"
"Your story."
"Oh." he says.

"Do I have to?" he asks.
"Don't be shy," I said.
"I have yet to be persuaded to tell my story."
"I'll listen, I promise." I convince.

He laughs at my reply.
"Ok. Well, I've never had a girlfriend because I promised myself that I'd wait until I turn 18 but that all changed when Papa died. Mama had to work full time. She was entrusted Papa's company. All the hard work of Papa were in Mama's hands. She barely had any sleep so I told myself that I need to graduate and get a job as fast as I could. I promised that I'd take care of Mama and Andrea for Papa." he explained.