Chapter 13

Ariana

     "Ta da!" Kendall turned me around in front of the long mirror I had in my room. I looked so different. I was not wearing my usual plaid skirts with a sweater. I was not wearing my glasses. I got contacts, who am I? Most importantly my hair wasn't in my signature ponytail I had always had since 8th grade. I was wearing the black bralette, I usually wear to bed—turned out it could be a shirt too. And dark denim jeans. And my hair, it was down and curled in perfect big waves.
     "Woah." I whispered.
     "You like it?" Kendall grinned.
     "Thank you, so much!" I smiled with tears in my eyes.
     "Ari don't cry!" She pulled me into a hug.
     "They're happy tears. I haven't cried happy tears in so long." I let go. She smiled and giggled.
     "Don't cry you're going to ruin your makeup!" She smiled, wiping my tears away. I laughed. "Everyone's going to freak when they see you." She sat on my bed.
     "Freak?" I said concerned.
     "No, like they're going to freak out because you look so hot!" She giggled.
     "Oh, is that good?" I asked.
     "Yes Ari, they're going to rethink everything they ever said to you." She got up and stood in front of me.
     "So I have to set a few rules." She said and I nodded. She took my wrists. "Rule number 1: don't ever think about being friends with the people who laughed, pointed etc. they're just going to use you for your looks. Trust me. I've gone through that a lot. Rule number 2: Always be forgiving, but not too much. Now you might think I'm a hypocrite because of the last rule and this one but just if someone apologizes then say I accept your apology. Rule number 3: Stay with a small group of loving and supportive people. Rule number 4: don't cancel out everyone. Say hi if someone else says hi. Say thank you to people if they give you a compliment. Smile at people as they glance at you in the halls. I know you were afraid to talk to Justin. He told me. Don't write in the journal to speak anymore. Embrace yourself and be yourself."
     "Thank you Ken. A lot. I appreciate everything you've done for me so so so much."
     "You're welcome. Now put your vans on and let's slay everyone's asses at school!" She yelled.
   I laughed, getting my creme suede shoes from my closet.
     "Oh and eat lunch with me today." she says.
     "Don't you eat lunch with Justin and his friends?" I said.
     "Yes. Embrace yourself. Be yourself." She said, spraying perfume on her neck. I sighed and got up and grabbed my backpack.
   "Let's get going!" She picked up her bag. We walked out the door and got into her car then drove to school.

Totally not ready for this. . .

     I walked through the halls with Kendall by my side and my head high and shoulders up. Everyone was looking at me. I mean at Kendall. They're looking at Kendall, right? A boy whistled.
"Shut up you douche!" Kendall yelled. I laughed. I made it to my locker finally. I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"Hey." A really familiar voice said. I turned around, "A-ari?" Justin stuttered, wide eyed.
"Yeah?"
  "Is this really you?" He chuckled. I looked over at Kendall who was smiling like a child in a toy store. I looked back at Justin—who looked like a hungry child in a candy store. "Justin?" I waved my hand in his face.
"Oh s-sorry." He wiped his nose with the back of his hand. I laughed.
"You like my new look? Kendall helped me." I smiled, twirling around.
"I love it. Where's your glasses?" He asked.
"I got contacts. Finally." I said. He nodded and stared.
"I just can't get over how pretty you are." He said. putting my hair behind my ear. I looked at Kendall.
"Say thank you." She mouthed out, making hands gestures.
"Uh thank you!" I said quickly. From the corner of my eye, I saw Kendall giving a thumbs up. I looked back at Justin. He smiled. I smiled back. The bell rung.
"Bye Kendall! See you lunch." I closed my locker and gave her a hug.
"Bye Ari, see you later!" She smiled and walked to her first period.
"Let's go." Justin smiled. We walked to our class and he sat next to me—I don't sit in the back.