Painful Rejection: Chapter Two - Unwanted Memories

Chapter Two

Unwanted Memories

Three years later.

“You ready,” Michael asked quietly as he turned cautiously to his companion.

The girl beside him smirked almost wickedly as she raised her blade and gleaned softly in the dim sun that managed to peak through the thick trees on the silver of the blade. The years of hard training had paid off in shaping her physically and mentally. She stood with confidence and grace as the gentle glow of the sun shone off her light chestnut curls tightly tied into a high ponytail with her natural curls tumbling past her shoulder. Her deep, ocean blue eyes shone with her fierce personality and determination as she shifted her smaller frame to get into a better position to act swiftly. She had traded in her baggy clothing for more appropriate clothing for their work which consisted of tank tops and dark jeggings with leather combat boots. It warmed Michael’s heart everytime he saw her as she seemed to just naturally beam with confidence and constant joy in living.

“Do you really need to ask,” she questioned, raising her eyebrow to him.

The corner of his lips twitched as he fought a smile. “Of course not. Let’s go.”

The girl nodded and turned back to their targeted prey. They were a small band of rogue who had escaped from prison and stolen some valuables from the Court. The official order given to the pair was to apprehend if possible but it was already known that they wouldn’t be able to so an execution was the expected outcome for the three rogues.

The two had been waiting with immense patience for the moment to pounce. Finally the rogues finally stopped rush in around their small camp, coming together with their backs to the two’s hiding place. With a quick, swift single motion Michael and his companion jumped out from their place of hiding, the girl landed on the back of one of the rogues, plunging her blade into his neck then jumping away as the man dropped to his knees. Michael had a more difficult time with his target as the rogue growled viciously and dodged his every attempt to advance. With a growl of frustration Michael made his lunge towards the rogue with his own blade but missed as this target stumbled away from him. The girl smirked as she saw her partner’s struggle out of the corner of her eye but her attention was brought back to the rogue in front of her as he leapt towards her, mid-shift with ugly, gnarled claws reaching out to her back by his heated anger. The girl gracefully glided from the rogue’s path and watched as he crumpled to the ground in a heap of growing fur then look up into her gleaming blue eyes as she smirked down at him as if he were a weaker being that deserved her pity. With a deep growl, the rogue made another lunge for the girl but was stopped as she pulled out a pistol from her belt and buried a silver bullet into his chest.

She quickly turned to see the progress of her partner and saw him finishing off his own kill with a swift slash to his throat. The gesture made the girl cringe, no matter how long she may have been doing this, it still wasn’t easy to witness her friend killing another being. She slowly looked around them at the circle of corpses that now surrounded them. The corpses they had made.

She grimaced at the sight and pitted the existence of supernaturals.

It was strange that races so ancient and powerful had simply become so unsentimental towards the lives of their own people. There was a time when every supernatural race lived silently in hiding amongst themselves under the unified leadership of the Court. This system diminished as humans themselves became more cluttered in major cities and began expanding themselves, supernaturals slowly began to come out of hiding to join the humans quietly. The Merge, as many called the event, did little to change anything but it wasn’t long before this caused many supernaturals to slip through the cracks of the Court’s influence as they simply blended in with the humans. The disorder shook the entire supernatural government and from the disruption of order, a new military branch called the Peacekeeping Division was formed with the decent intention of simply restoring order amongst the supernaturals. However, in recent years it seems that the Court leaders could care less about settling the chaos peacefully.