Chapter 1. The Letter

GAVIN

I breathed in the fresh air surrounding me and petted my favourite horse who was drinking water from a bucket beside me. Today was such a nice day that I decided to take my horse, Niko, out for a ride around our ranch. It's been a while since the sky had been this crystal clear and I thought it'd be best to take advantage of it.

"Gavin Wille!" I turned around to see my best friend Tiffany running towards me. She had her brown hair in a fishtail braid and was struggling to keep her hat on her head. I laughed at her when she almost tripped on her way to me.

"Damn calm down Tiff. What's going on?" She was looking at me with her big smile and her big eyes, trying to catch her unsteady breath. "Oh my gosh, did you receive a letter? Huh, huh? Dude everyone's been going crazy about it ever since yesterday."

I gave her a confused looked and she brought up her hands that was holding an envelope that I have not noticed. "Dude so apparently Prince Calvin, the prince I tell you, is hosting a big birthday party for his coming of age day. The royal family is inviting anyone that's 18 or would be turning 18 this year to try and see if his mate was anywhere around our country! And you know... just for party purposes."

I did not expect that. I'm quite sure a lot of people would be going, considering the fact that around 2 age groups would be going. "Um... I don't know about the letter. Plus you know how I feel about going out and talking to random people. Not my thing."

Tiffany rolled her eyes at me. "First of all, you know that you'll have to deal with it and socialise with strangers when you get older anyway for whatever reason it is. And second of all, the reason why you probably didn't get the letter yet was because they probably forgot you existed as you never go out and only stay in your room or in the ranch."

"For your information, my bed is a very comfortable place and VERY safe. My bed and phone loves me as I love them. Why the hell do I need to go out if I already have these two most magnificent inventions in the world? Exactly."

Tiffany gave me this blank face and I just smirked at her. I win.

"You suck. Anyway let's go in the house, I actually want to show you the letter there so we could be more comfy in your oh so safe and magnificent bed. Who the hell says magnificent nowadays anyway?"

I laughed at her and led Niko along with Tiff into our 2-story warm abode.

Our life wasn't bad here, the whole town was nice with each other, we were out in nature where we can run freely in our wolf forms, it was just peaceful but still fun. We weren't in the crazy busy city, but it was exactly the farmlands where there was a house every other mile or something.

Life was good here.

"Mom, Dad! I'm back and Tiff's here!" My mom walked into the living room where we sat down in comfort. "I've always loved your couch. Have I ever told you how great your choice was Mrs.Wille?"

My mom laughed and I shook my head at them. Oh Tiffany. You guys should see her twin Timothy, they're quite a bunch. "Thanks sweetie. And yes you've actually told me so quite a few times. Anyway, aren't you two going to your room, Gav? So 'us adults won't hear the oh so dangerous bad decisions' you teens are planning."

We both laughed at my mom and quickly settled back down. "Nah, plus it's too far." It was now my mom's turn to show a blank face and I laughed hard. People and their faces, I swear.

"You literally just have to go up the stairs and turn right. Your room is like the first one up there."

"We'd still have to go up the stairs though. I already walked Niko around the ranch too. I've done more than enough exercise today mother." My mom raised her hands in surrender and went back into the kitchen to do her... baking or cooking or something. I don't know what it is but it smells good.

"Okay, so look at the letter. Like it looks so pretty and this would be like the most official thing I've ever received my whole entire life." I took the envelope from her and studied the invitation. It does look... official. I don't know.

"I'm surprised you haven't gotten the letter yet. I mean you are a son of a beta in a pretty big pack. Jokes aside, are you sure you haven't gotten one yet?" I looked up at Tiffany and shrugged my shoulders.

"Get what?" We both turned around and looked at my dad who was walking down the stairs with his glasses and buttoned up shirt looking like a regular dad of a soon to be adult.

Me. Adult. Pu-ha, I laugh.

"Hey pops. We were just talking about the letter that's being sent out from the palace. Apparently I should've gotten one as I fall into the category." My dad thought for a minute and I actually was hoping he knew something about it.

"Not a specific invitation to you in general. But there is one inviting our family and our alpha's family to go. Does that count?" My dad gave me a half smirk smile and I felt really excited. Huh I do feel excited about this. Interesting.

"Oh yay! You, Tim, Brandon, Geneva, and I are all going then? This would be such a party for us. Whether or not we mingle in the party just the 5 if us going to the palace to party would be a blast already. I can't wait for this. We are totally going out to shop."

Oh yay.

CALVIN

I was peacefully sitting on my chair by the window drawing when someone's scent hit my nose. I heard their footsteps stop just outside my door and I smiled. A knock followed along with that oh so familiar voice.

"Who is it?" I asked playing along. I dropped my sketch pad and pencil on my lap and smiled facing my door. "Would you kindly let me in and graciously honour me by letting me in your presence, Your Highness?" I tried holding back my laugh and quickly gave out a yes.

In came a man around my 6'2 frame with dark black hair and grey eyes. He flashed me his irritating smile and dimples. I couldn't help but smile back and run embracing him in a tight hug.

"Aw fuck! Calm down I know you like me and have the hots for me but let the man breathe." I pulled away but playfully punched him in the stomach. He played along landing on my bed and we both laughed.

"Dude what the hell! It's good to see you man! How was the training, was it fun?" He nodded his head and we laughed again for who knows what.

I know that it sounds like I do have some kind of interest in him but trust me, I don't. Daniel's like my brother. He's my right hand, best friend - more like brother actually - for life. He's like the closest person to me. We tell everything to each other and are just very close. Did I tell you he's also my Royal Beta? Well yeah there's that.

He was away for 2 months to do some type of military training as it was a thing for his family to do so military training once in a while. As he just turned 18, he was bound to start soon.

"It was good, I'm going back again in 8 months and yeah. But the thing I'm curious about is your birthday. You excited for your special day? Less than a week now."

I nodded and looked up at my ceiling. "Yeah, my family is actually doing something crazy but I was up for it. We're inviting people around our age to just have this huge ass party. My parents happily obliged. Dude I can find my mate there."

He gave me this satisfied smile and patted my shoulder. "Haaaa, I can't believe you may possibly get your mate that night. Wonder what she'll look like. Oh wait maybe it could be a he too." I gave him a straight face and pushed him against my bed.

He just laughed and I shook my head. "Not that I'm against gay couples man, but I'd rather have a female mate. I mean who else would give me a family and a heir to continue my family's bloodline. It's not like I'm saying that'll be her only purpose but not a single Royal has had the same sexed gender mate before. We need heirs man."

He nodded understanding my point and I was just happy he did.