Seventeen

"Rose you gotta get better so that we can go home." I said, the next morning.

Rose didn't respond, she was still sleeping.

"Rose if you can hear me, I want you to know that no matter what, I will always be there for you. Do you hear me?" Another tear slid down my cheek.

"Rose, I love you."

The constant beeping on the monitor had changed into a high pitched beep that kept going on forever.

This was it...she had flatlined.

"NO!!! ROSE WAKE UP!!"

"The doctor rushed into the room as well as Mr and Mrs. Crestview.

The doctor looked disappointed. "I'm sorry." He said, lifting a sheet up over Rose's head.

"NOOOO!!" I held onto her body and nurses pulled me off. "ROSE WAKE UP!!" I shouted. "WE GOTTA GO HOME."

"Dom!!"

Someone was shouting my name and pulling on my arm. I didn't want to be bothered. I cried and cried and cried."

"Bring my Rose back!!!" I shouted but no one did.

Mrs. Crestview cried as much as I did. I gave her a hug and we cried together.
"She's going to a better place, Dom."

I didn't wanna hear it. I wanted Rose right here in my arms, no where else. We've been through so much. She's taught me a lot. What was I supposed to do without her?

Mrs. Crestview slapped my arm repeatedly. I stopped crying.

"What are you doing?" She kept hitting my arm.

"Dom!!"

I woke up, and it was Darron sitting next to me on the small sofa in the hospital room.

I quickly jumped up and saw Rose still sleeping peacefully in the bed and Trina and Darron looking at me like I had did something really foul.

"You was having a nightmare bro, you were groaning like crazy." He said.

I continued to observe the room, my Rose was still there, alive.

"Shit," I wiped my face and the crust out my eyes. "How long has she been sleeping?"

"We got here about 8 am and she was eating breakfast and watching TV. But she went back to sleep and hour ago." He said

I looked at my phone and it was 10:30.
"Oh." I exhaled.

He tapped my back. "You good?"

"Yeah I'm cool. Hey Trina." I stood to see Rose.

"Hey." She said back.

I rubbed Rose's hand and smiled. A doctor came in. "She's doing a lot better."

"Oh yeah?" I smiled.
"Yep. She should be able to go home within the next week."