Eleven

"You don't understand Rose. I wish I had your life. I wish I would've had my parents in my corner, to show me right and wrong, I had to learn everything the best way I could." I lied on my back on her sofa as she was in the kitchen doing something. I decided to tell her how I was truly feeling inside.

"I understand. But in my opinion, you seem to have grown up well without them." She said from a distance.

I scoffed. "Yeah right. Nobody really knows me, except Darron and Randy."

"I know you well enough." Her voice sounded like she was coming towards the living room where I was.

"Nah."

I don't open up about this stuff at all. I keep to myself, it ain't nobody's business. Especially in the streets, you don't wanna vent to no nigga, you'll be considered a softy who's always in his feelings. But hey, that's what really raised me. My uncle said that my parents left me on his doorstep when I was a newborn, he didn't raise me either. It was more like a roommate thing until I got grown.

I continued. "If they would've took care of their responsibility and wouldn't have ran away from me I would be happier than I am now. They just treated me like a pile of shit."

Suddenly I felt Rose lift me up off my back and rest my head on her lap. She handed me a water bottle. It was the best feeling in the world, especially when she started running her fingers through my hair.

"You know what I think?" She asked. I was still getting used to her being this close.

"What's that?"

"Everyone needs their parents to teach them the way in life. But take a good look at yourself...you graduated high school, you have a job, a car, your own place, you keep groceries in your house, your bills are paid, you're doing fine."

"Yeah you're right I guess. I just wanna know why they obviously don't give a fuck about me." I said, then her phone rang.

She was talking to her father. I could tell by how her voice changed. When Rose reminded me of how well my life is going, it made me wonder do I really need to be stressing about not knowing who my mom and dad is? I decided to take that off my mind and I never brought it up again.

I damn near fell asleep from Rose playing in my hair. It was such a relaxing feeling.

She hung up the phone and sighed. "It's almost 1 am."

"Mhmm." I said with my eyes closed, relaxing on her thighs.

"Don't you need to go home? Do you have to work?" She asked.

I mumbled. "I don't work on weekends. I wanna stay with you."

I couldn't see her since my eyes were closed,but I knew she was smiling.

We literally sat for another 20 minutes in silence, her still caressing my head and me falling asleep.

She tapped my shoulder as soon as I was almost in a deep sleep. "I have a guest bedroom back there."

It took me a while, but I sat up. "Cool, imma crash here tonight."

I was about to get up but she gently pushed me back and kissed me. Not a peck, not a kiss on the cheek, a long passionate deep kiss that definitely woke up feelings inside me that I thought I never had.

"What was that for?" I asked.
She shrugged. "For just being Dominic."

---

We slept in separate beds. I didn't touch her or even ask to come in her room which made me question who I was. That's not something the old Dominic would do. I guess I'm changing.

Talking outside my door woke me up the next morning. I put on my shirt from yesterday and walked out my door. I gotta get a change of clothes and wash up cause this is nasty.

Rose and her father, the one who tried to intimidate me at laser tag, stopped talking and turned to look at me.

Rose sighed and looked back at her dad.

"Who is that?" He asked.

"Daddy, this is my boyfriend Dominic."

My eyes opened wide. So we have titles now?

"Ahh yes. The fearless boy from laser tag." He nodded. "We didn't meet properly, so let's try this again." He held out his hand. "I'm Rose's father, you can call me Mr. Crestview. And you're Dominic right?"

I shook his hand back. "Yes." I didn't know what else to say.

Suddenly I felt Rose's arm wrap around my waist and she moved my arm around her neck. "Yep dad this is my boyfriend." She seemed to be trying to prove something to him instead of being sincere about the "b" word.

"I see." Mr. Crestview said. "So I suppose you're bringing him to the cook out later?"

I looked down at Rose all hugged up on me. She froze for a second but then lightened up.

"Yep! I was planning on it." She said.

"Alright then. I'll see you later, Dominic." He waved as he walked out the door.

Rose finally let me go. "What did you just get me into?" I asked her.

"My family is having a cookout at two." She cheesed like that was gonna make me wanna go.

"And you just told him that I was going to be there?"

"Well, can you come?" She finally asked while winning.

"I guess I ain't got no choice now huh?" I went to find my shoes.

She sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just, he wants me to marry someone with a masters degree. I just want to stand up to him and show him that if I'm happy in a relationship, then all of that extra doesn't matter."

"'Relationship', 'boyfriend', is there something you wanna tell me Rose?" I lifted a brow.

She smirked. "Yeah."

I stood right before the couch and she walked slowly towards me. "That I like you and I wanna be your girlfriend." She fisted my shirt and gently pulled me near.

"Oh yeah?" I smirked.
She nodded and smiled.

"I don't know if sweet little Rose is ready for a relationship."I said feeling cocky.

"I'm ready for a relationship. But are you ready, Mr. What is love?"

I chuckled. "Maybe I'll find out." Since she was that close, I leaned in and kissed her soft lips.

"I guess I'll go home and get washed up and I'll be back here at 1:30." I said, leaving her grip to get my shoes.

"Ok, I'll be here." She smiled and drifted off into the bathroom. I got my things and left.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹