Thirteen

"Dom." I felt someone shake me out of my sleep. "Dom what time is it?" Rose lifted up her body from mine and I struggled to reach my phone on the floor. 9:28 my phone said.

"Ugh. I should probably go home now." She sat up on the couch and fixed her hair.

"Okay."

"I have to go to work tomorrow. Chipotle." She picked up her purse.

"Aight. Make me a burrito bowl and I'll come pick it up." I gave a big stretch.

She laughed. "I'll see what I can do."

I gave her a kiss and followed her to the door. "Bye."

She grinned. "You walked me to the door, I didn't even ask you to."

I smacked my lips. "Go home, big head."

She laughed on her way out the door. Well shit, she made me walk her to the door when we first started dating, so now it just became a habit.

I went straight to bed after Rose left. I didn't have to work the next day but I was tired.

---

The next morning, I went to go hoop with Darron and old friends from high school. We went to a public court downtown that had brand new hoops.

"Mike you a little rusty. What happened you were on the basketball team back in school." I said.

He bent over huffing and puffing, sweating bullets. "I stopped working out."

"Bruh, you look exhausted you need to sit down." I pat his back.

"Nah, I'm good I'm good." He stood up straight. "Check."

I shrugged and looked at Darron. He just shook his head. We kept playing.

It was 2 on 2, me and Darron against Mike and Sean. Sean was the coolest white boy you'd ever meet.

Me and Darron was fucking 'em up on the court. We had played for about 30 minutes and the score was 36-10.

Darron had just scored the last two points and we both celebrated. We both dabbed. I look over at Sean, he was just salty that he had lost. I looked at Mike, his eyes seemed to be going in different directions and he stumbled to the ground. Darron and I immediately stopped our shit talking and ran to help him. He was still breathing.

I waved my hand in front of his face. "Mike!"

He didn't respond to me. Darron got his phone out his pocket and called 911.
"Mike what's wrong!?" Sean tried to get him to speak.

Moments later the paramedics came. They said he had fainted because he was low on energy and he was doing physical activity in extreme heat.

Mike finally came back to normal after they gave him an apple.

"Sir, did you eat breakfast this morning?" The lady paramedic asked.

He shook his head.

"That's what happened. You gotta eat breakfast before you jump into activities like basketball. Especially when it's 80 degrees out, your body won't have enough energy and you'll faint." She said.