055

Chapter Fifty-Five

The Fox and The Wolf

"You reap what you sow"

A light ache rests between your temples as your eyelids struggle to stay up. A hefty weight in your eyes blends with the scattered yawns that leave you. Your mind is stuck on sleep and Stiles, neither comes easy.  Kira stares at the tattered photo that accompanied you in the wall beneath Eichen.

"This looks just like me; this has to be my grandma," The back says 1943 on it, but no name is provided. Scott explains the picture resided with the body in the wall. Your eyes stay downcast as you allow Scott to deliver this information.

"On the wall was a backward five. It seems like it all goes back to your family, your grandmother, your mom," Kira outwardly sighs as she grabs her phone. You glance up, joining Scott as you both watch her eyebrows pull together.

"What is it?" Your voice sounds foreign almost, the inner monologue within your own head as silent as you were conscious. You put the picture back into your pocket as Kira gets off the phone. She says it is her Dad, the three of you move with haste to the school. Kira leads the charge into the building and further into her fathers' classroom. Her mother is at his side as he lies on the floor; his coughs reach your ears in an evident struggle to breathe.

"Kira, did you bring it?" Noshiko appears calm as Kira hands her a bottle. Visibly unfazed by her possibly dying husband. You linger by the door, arms crossed over your chest as you watch the Yukimuras warily.

"You gonna tell us what that is?" Your question is blunt, and Scott's eyebrows furrow at your clenched jaw. Noshiko only chuckles before turning back to her husband while Kira keeps her eyes on her father. 

"It's basically magic mushrooms. Trust me, don't ask," Her attention was still on her father as she vaguely brought you up to speed. The mushrooms in question went into his already blocked airway; seconds later, you grimace at the sight of a black substance leaving him. You watch as the Yukimuras embrace each other, and a tickle shoots up your spine.

"Stiles was here, wasn't he?" The question is barely a whisper but earns a scoff from Noshiko. She explains his desire for the last tail that she has kept close to her, knowing he would come for it. 

"Your friend is dangerous," She looks you in the eye with an unrelenting glare as you shuffle forward toward. You miss the soft growl that leaves you as Scott's hand on your shoulder halts your movement. The Yukimuras look to Scott as they acknowledge what they heard, but he shakes his head. Too focused on Noshiko, you miss this nonverbal interaction.

"Mom, you need to talk to us about everything," Kira breaks the staredown between you and her mother. You clasp your hands in front of you as silence fills the room. Your index fingers tap against each other in a repetitive motion.

"Yeah, why would I be a threat to the Nogitsune?" The question brings another pause as both of Kira's parents' glance at each other. You are confident they know from the glances they share. You pull out the photo from the wall in your pocket, holding it up for them to see. Noshiko rips the picture from your fingers as her eyes widen.

"Where'd you get this?" For the first time since you all arrived at the school, you see a genuine reaction. Her mouth is parted slightly as she tries to grasp what is before her eyes.