027

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Venomous

"See me bare my teeth for you Who, who are you"

Sitting in the living room working on a new spell Adeline silently watched you from the kitchen. You had been practicing spells every day consistently on top of hunting lessons with Chris.

"Grandma I want to try the Bone Breaking spell but I don't have anyone to try it on is there like a spell I could do for like a‒um I don't know what I'm trying to ask," You said losing your train of thought.

"The incantation is duplex it'll create what I guess you can call a clone of yourself and if you want several say reformandam duplum. You really have to focus on yourself though," Adeline said not looking up from the dishes. Closing your eyes thinking about every little detail about yourself it almost made you want to smile. It felt silly to sit and think about yourself, almost narcissistic.

"Duplex," You said, opening your eyes you jumped back as you saw yourself sitting in front of you. She was stagnant like a soldier, sitting with perfect posture staring ahead, "Woah what could I even use this for?"

"Several things you can be in several places at once, in situations, it can become a great offense. She'll do whatever you tell her too and once it's finished she disappears and you retain all the memories of what she did," Adeline explained, finishing up the dishes you watched as she disappeared up the stairs.

"Okay, I just need you to stand, okay?" You asked, watching the clone nod as she stood up made you laugh. Technically you were talking to yourself. Closing your eyes pushing your hand forward a wave released, "Ossox."

The loud sound of snapping made you flinch as you watched yourself double over in pain. When the clone disappeared into thin air you smiled but as the memories came flooding in a dull ache could be felt in your leg.

"Ow! Ow!" You cried, taking a deep breath there not anything actually wrong with your leg. The memory was so new the pain felt like your bone had just snapped seconds ago. Letting your head fall back onto the floor you smiled weakly at the ceiling. Your phone ringing not too far from you on the floor took your attention. Looking at the screen Lydia's name in all capitals filled the screen.

"Hey, Lydia what's up?" You asked rubbing your calf lightly the pain was subsiding. Despite the pain, you were proud of the strides you were making with the spells.

"Not much do you mind if I come over?" Lydia asked, glancing around the room nothing that would raise questions was out beside the grimoire you were using.

"No not at all sure I'll let my grandmother know," You said and there was not much conversation beyond that as Lydia said she'd be over in ten. Hobbling up the stairs letting Adeline know that Lydia was coming over you then hid the Croft grimoire. Getting some snacks and taking them to your room when Lydia arrived the two of you headed straight for your room. Making small talk the two of you had some unspoken tension.

"So what's up with you and Allison you two have been acting weird?" Lydia asked looking at her with furrowed brows.

"No, we haven't!" You said quickly but Lydia was watching you carefully.