Laugh, I Nearly Died (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

She squirmed in Dean’s tight grip. "Let go of me," She yelled. "Or I’ll, I’ll…" She trailed off angrily.

"Hey, hey, hey, just calm down. We’re not gonna hurt you." Dean said firmly.

She stopped struggling and Dean let go of her. She stuck out the kitchen knife she was using for weapon and we held up our hands in surrender just to get her to calm down.

"Who are you?" She asked frantically. Her eyes flashed.

I took a step forward, my hands still raised. "Look, it’s fine. I’m MacK, that’s Sam, and Dean."

The girl lowered her weapon slightly. "What are you doing here?"

Dean scoffed. "Well, we could ask you the same thing."

The girl lowered her weapon completely. She stood up straight and pursed her lips. It came off as a defiant look. "I’m hunting ghosts." She said simply.

I raised my eyebrows. I wasn’t sure I’d heard her right. "What?"

She frowned. "My mom told me that there was no such thing, but I’ve seen the things she did in her free time. I followed her once and I watched her dig up this grave and I saw this ghost thing. So I did some research and," She shrugged. "I found out that ghosts are real."

I looked at both my brothers. "Listen," Sam began. "Um, why don’t we take you home? I’m sure your parents are getting worried."

The girl gaped and her eyes glinted. "Look, I’m not crazy. There’s something going on here. I saw it with my own two eyes."

I glanced at my brothers again. "You know about the supernatural world?"

The girl shrugged. "I know that there are ghosts."

Dean let out a breath of air. "Well that’s just peachy. Look, we believe you all right. We hunt this stuff too. Like your mom probably does."

"Did." The girl interrupted quietly.

"What?" Dean asked puzzled.

"She did hunt these things. She, um," The girl swallowed. "She died in a car wreck two weeks ago."

Dean, Sam’s, and mine’s eyebrows rose and fell quickly. "Oh. I’m sorry." Dean said taken aback.

The girl turned and shook her head. "I’m dealing." She turned back and sniffed. "So, you guys are hunting this thing too?"

"Yeah, um, you wouldn’t happen to know anything about it, would you?" Sam asked.

The girl shrugged. "Just that it’s killing off girls between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five."

I took a deep breath. "All right. Great. Anyways, what’s your name?"

"Oh, it’s Emma. Emma Thomas."

I raised my eyebrows. "Thomas? Did you ever happen to know a Katie Thomas?"

My brothers gave me a funny look. The girl furrowed her brows.
"Well, I didn’t know her exactly, but I’ve seen pictures. She was my mom’s sister."

I froze. "Did, she, um, did she happen to die in an accident when you were a baby?"

Emma’s brows shot up. "Yeah, she did actually. How did you know?"

I sucked a sharp breath. "She was my mom."

* * * * *

"So your mom never mentioned me?" I asked Emma as I stirred the stirrer in my coffee.

We were sitting in a diner called Happy Jacks. Sam was sitting next to Emma looking slightly uncomfortable. When we’d come in I had taken a seat and then Dean had rushed to sit beside me, whether to aggravate me, Emma, or Sam I wasn’t sure.