XVIII

Listen while you read:
Lana del Rey - Dark Paradise

____________________________

Everyone woke up the next morning to everything soaked. Lauren sighed as she kicked a can that contained dirty water. Everyone emerged from their cars, stretching and groaning.

"How did everyone sleep?" Dinah asked stretching her neck. Everyone groaned not even answering Dinah's question.

Everyone walked around to look for something at least a bit dry to start a fire. The majority of things were too soaked to even ignite. A few of them dispersed in search of something to burn.

"How are we suppose to start a fire with this?" Lucy sighed picking up a wet stick.

"We can't." Lauren answered.

"Did someone say dry log?" Janel said holding a huge dry log.

"No." Normani chuckled.

"Oh, well that would've been perfect. Either way I found a dry log and it's huge." She laughed.

"Nice find, Nel, I'll light it up." Lauren smiled.

"I'll help." Camila said.

"I'll go get the bunnies." Michael ran off.

"Ian, Lucy, can you help me locate some berries?" Ally asked putting on her hat as both newbies nodded and followed her.

Dinah smiled looking at everyone working to gather food. Normani joined her also watching everyone go to work.

"Everyone's playing a part. What should we do?" Normani asked looking at the woman.

"There's nothing to do." Dinah smiled. "It feels weird not doing anything."

"Well you deserve a break for being a good leader."

Dinah huffed, "I'm not a leader. I just suggest ideas that tend to go well sometimes."

"Sounds like a leader to me." Normani said taking Dinah's hand.

The two share a smiled, "Thanks, Mani."

~~~

"Maybe if we get a dry stick it could light it?" Michael suggested to Lauren who kept trying to ignite her lighter.

"The problem is that the lighter isn't working at all, Mike" Calum cleared.

"I meant to get back to the basics. Use friction to create heat and ignite it." Everyone looked at the colorful haired man and then to Calum.

"He's right." Calum nodded. "I thought I was the smart one."

Janel walked to her pile of collected dry sticks and pull out the most durable, handing it to Lauren.

"You're gonna want to start from the top and move down as you rub your hands fast." Calum demonstrated.

Lauren did as she was told and not long after, small smoke started accumulating. Camila cupped her hands around it so the wind wouldn't blow it away. It didn't take long for a small flame to form on the dry grass. Everyone smiled and went to look for more sticks and grass.

Lauren sat back and watched as their fire grew, "Thanks, Camz."

"I didn't do anything." She chuckled.

"You made sure the fire didn't blow away."

"You made the fire."

Lauren sighed, "Can you just take my compliment? You help this group more than you think."