XII

Listen while you read:
Kodaline - Perfect World

______________________________

The four women ran through the deserted town as the moonlight lit their way. Lauren looked back to make sure the three women were following and sure enough they were. The sweat began to drip down to Dinah's eyes as her lungs were burning with every breath she took. The muscles is Allyson's calves were aching, begging her to stop as she held her camouflage hat in her hand. Normani was even beginning to get tired, she turned around and seen the large amount of bats running after them. Their pale eyes held so much anger as they all made a horrible growl while the others made their signature clicking sound.

"We have to do something!" Normani yelled looking at Dinah.

"Let me think!" Dinah yelled desperately. Her brown eyes scanned the area around her. They couldn't run into an alley because it could lead to a dead end. Up ahead she could see an abandoned school bus. "Under the bus!" She yelled.

All four women ran just as their lives depended on it. As they neared the yellow faded bus, they all did a baseball slide right under it. While they all sat there breathing heavily, the bats began jumping over the bus, like gazelle. The four women simply watched as the bats jumped over and continued running, their howls becoming more and more faint.

Lauren sigh and let herself lay on the concrete. Her chest rising and falling at a quick rate. Dinah was practically heaving and leaned to one side and vomited. Ally took out a canteen and gave it to Dinah first who took it happily before passing it to Normani. After taking three gulps, Normani handed it to Lauren who simply drank a mouthful before giving it back to Ally.

"Can we sleep in the bus tonight?" Ally asked. They all nodded and got out from under the bus. They entered tired and threw their stuff into an empty seat where they laid.

*****

Morning came along and Lauren was the first to wake. She quietly made her way out of the bus and noticed her neck was in pain. Green eyes were squinted due to the bright sunlight. She moved her gun to the side and looked at her surroundings. There was a vast amount of cars on the other side of the bus while the other showed the deserted town. Lauren pulled her red flannel to better cover herself from the gush of wind. She placed her black bandana over her mouth and climbed onto the hood of the bus before climbing to the top.

There she had a good view of her surroundings. With her scope she looked towards the town, but seen nothing. When she turned around she could hear the soft clicking of deer hooves. She looked through her scope and could see a small family of them. A smile crept onto the silent woman's face as her finger squeezed the trigger.

Dinah woke up to the smell of smoke. She sat up immediately and looked around only to notice that Lauren wasn't present. Not long after Normani and Ally awoke with the same panic of smelling smoke. The pair both looked to Dinah for an answer.

"I think it's Lauren." Dinah said standing up. The other two women followed and all immediately squinted from the bright sun.

Sitting on a torn car seat was Lauren who had a fire made and meat cooking on the stick over the fire. Lauren looked up seeing the three women and tossed them each a water bottle.

Normani smiled and exhaled astonished, "Where did you find these?" Lauren pointed to a car as Normani began chugging her water.

"You're making breakfast a little early. Wanna hit the road sooner?" Dinah asked sitting on one of the car seats that Lauren put out. Lauren shrugged before nodding. "Then we'll see if we can get one of these cars started." Lauren signaled behind her where there was a black car. "You took care of that too? Well how about gas?" Lauren took out a small red gasoline gallon from behind her and held it up. "You got that covered too?" Dinah giggled. "Alright we'll go once we've eaten."