III

Listen while you read:
Tove Lo - Thousand Miles

______________________________

Lauren stepped out into the cold air, pulling out her knife from it's hoist. Green eyes darted left and right for any of the infected. She stepped off the stoop and walked onto the side walk without going too far from the veterinarian clinic. She looked down the street and seen no one.

As she turned around a dark figure collided with her causing Lauren to fall to the floor with the figure on top delivering a punch to her face. The emerald eyed woman tried to sink her knife into the dark figure's chest, but they were strong and held onto Lauren's wrist. Lauren placed her feet on its stomach and kicked them off causing them to fly off her, but landing on their feet. Lauren stood quickly and began circling the figure, who did the same. After a fully circling the figure, Lauren ran and pounced onto it pushing it to the floor and rolling onto the dirt. Lauren gained the upper hand and raised her knife above her head with one hand while the other was holding down the figure's arms over its stomach.

"Wait!" The feminine voice of the figure said causing Lauren's angered demeanor to change into a confused one.

Lauren let go of the person's hand, but remained straddling her. The figure took off their dark hood to reveal their face. In the dim moonlight Lauren could see it was woman with her brown hair cut so short it didn't even pass her shoulders, but barely touched her ears. Her eyes were a dark shade of brown that melted into Lauren's green ones. Her face was perfectly rounded almost like a child, but this woman had to be in her mid twenties. She wore a scared expression as she was staring up at Lauren.

A low growl caused both women to look behind Lauren. There they seen a grey wolf who flared its teeth at the pair. Lauren slowly brought her leg off the woman under her and began to stand cautiously. She walked away from the short haired woman and into the street where there was open space. Lauren stood patiently as the wolf began moving across from her. The wolf moistened it's teeth and with crazy in its eyes, it ran towards her. Lauren took a defensive stance and the moment the wolf leaped at her, she was able to sink her knife into its chest causing it to fall easily. Lauren took out her knife and stabbed it in the head to ensure its death and stood tired, taking quick breaths of air.

Green eyes darted back to where the woman was to see that she now stood looking at the lifeless wolf then back at Lauren. The only growl was now being made from the brown eyed woman's stomach. Lauren eyed the woman who stared at her with worry and folded her knife away to placed it back in its hoist. She bent down to pick up the beast and carried it to where the woman stood and left it at her feet. With that Lauren turned around and walked back towards the clinic.

"Thank you." She heard the shaken voice from behind her say. Lauren simply lifted her hand up and entered the building.

Upon entering, Lauren closed it securely and laid next to Normani where she could stare at the door. Moonlight dripping in from under the door. Occasionally shadows blocked the light and Lauren assumed they were the infected. For a moment Lauren thought of letting that woman stay with them, but that would mean potential danger from a stranger and she didn't want to bring trouble. Green eyes fluttered shut behind her eyelids and she was fast asleep.

********

The three women woke up late in the afternoon exhausted from days prior. Lauren made another fire and they finished the meat caught from yesterday. They ate in silence while Dinah and Normani shared look of concern then looked back at Lauren who was doing a poor attempt of hiding the dark bruise on her left cheek. Dinah finished her portion of the rabbit and thew the bone into the fire before reclining with her hands behind her.