Chapter 16

July 8th
08:40
Mount Justice

Covert appeared from the zeta tube, the computer announcing her presence.

"Covert, C01."

She was dressed as casually as the others, but a mask concealed her bright blue eyes. "Glad to see you've all met each other." She noticed M'gann, Robin, Wally, Kaldur, and the Superboy carrying a conversation. They stopped when she spoke.

Wally gave a her a look. "Are you join the team, C?"

She shrugged. "I'm not sure yet." The thought was dismissed for the moment. "I have other things that require my full attention." The girl walked up to Superboy, who towered over her. "I have heard a lot about you. I'm Covert."

The boy almost seemed shy to greet her. "Superboy,"

Covert nodded and looked down at her watch. "Robin," she turned to her best friend. "We're needed at our own Cave."

The Boy Wonder nodded. "Okay." He waved to his new team. "See you guys for a mission."

A chorus of "goodbye"s and "see yah"s erupted from the other four protégés.

"Recognized: Covert, C01. Robin, B01."

July 8th
08:43
The Bat Cave

"What have we got?" Dick asked, throwing off his unneeded sunglasses.

"Bats has League business. So he wanted us to review some new footage from Arkham." Parker seemed to not remember about her mask and left it on her face. The computer hummed to attention as her fingers tapped on the keyboard. "Joker is planning his escape. We just don't know when or how."

Dick looked up at the screens above them. "Those may be important." Came his sarcastic quip. "I saw the one from a few weeks ago, but that wasn't much of anything."

"Nope." She agreed. "He had another visitor last night, which is why we have ten minutes of video to watch. Bats installed a comm, so we have sound."

"Good." He sighed. "Last time reading his lips was so not fun."

The message began playing.

"It's been a while, my dear." The Clown Prince of crime spoke through a telephone. "I take it things are set in motion?"

Whoever was on the other end of the line, clearly a female, nodded. "Don't make me regret anything, freak."

"Ivy." Dick announced solemnly. He scowled.

"As in Poison?" Covert questioned.

"How did she get in without being recognized?" He continued.

"How can you recognize her?" She responded.

He glared at the screen. "She is hard to forget."

Parker resumed playing the footage before he could explain how.

"I wouldn't dream of it." Joker continued. "Is everyone ready?"

"Everyone?" She asked. "Joker doesn't normally work with people. It's not his MO."

"No," Robin agreed. "But he has in the past. He may just be planning something big."