Chapter 12

June 6th
12:20
Wayne Manor

When Parker finally came down the stairs. Of course, she had not bothered prep herself for the day. After all, school was out now. She could sleep in as long as she wanted. She awoke in her own bed, finding herself alone.

Had she bothered to check the date, she would have realized. When she walked into the kitchen, to her surprise, Bruce, Dick, and Alfred were waiting for her, dressed casually and smiling. Her brow furrowed in confusion.

"Did I miss something?" She asked, put off by the happy Batfamily. It was not a normal occurrence.

"You really don't know?" Dick have her a puzzled look. He seemed in awe of her ignorance.

Bruce did not reply with a question. "Happy birthday, Parker."

That caused her eyes to fly open. "Today is-?" She cut herself off. "I really need to get a calendar."

Alfred's butler instincts kicked in. "I am sure I can find one suitable for you."

She smiled. "Thanks, Alfred."

Dick's eyes flashed excitedly. "You should see what we got you!" He dragged her out of the kitchen, through the dining room, and to the main living room. "Took forever, but it came."

Somehow, Alfred had made it to the room first, entering from the side. He carried a small box covered with a cloth. Bruce appeared behind, leaning up against the wall. Giving a curious look to the butler, Parker pulled the cloth off, revealing an animal cage. Inside was the tiniest, most adorable thing she had ever seen. She opened the cage, picking up the baby animal. It fit into the palm of her hand.

"It's a Pygmy Marmoset monkey, other known as the finger monkey." Bruce explained. "Full grown, it will be able as long as your middle finger."

The minuscule animal was so small. She rubbed its hair gently. "It's so cute!"

Dick looked closely at it, too, equally as fascinated. He had not been allowed to hold it since it was Parker's gift, not his. "What're you gonna name him?"

For some reason, the perfect name popped into her head. "Charlie. I feel like most monkeys are named after English monarchs. Let's name this one after a French one."

"Baby finger monkeys require constant attention." Alfred explained. "In the wild, they are watched by siblings and the father all day and night. I trust you should not have a problem carrying him." The monkey weighed next to nothing.

"You seem to know a lot about them." Parker accused.

The butler nodded. "Who do you think has been taking care of it for the past few days? It arrived on Thursday."

"Thank you again, Alfred." She nodded. Then, she smiled to her guardian. "Thank you, Bruce." Holding the monkey carefully, she hugged him. "By the way," she added. "What's for lunch?"

"Whatever you desire, Miss Parker." Alfred answered.

Her eyes lit up. "Pizza."

"Of course," he replied sarcastically. "Why do I bother asking teenagers?" He muttered to himself.

Dick stared intently at the small creature, something Parker picked up on. "You wanna hold him?" She asked.