Day 7: "Don't Look Back"

Location: Military Base 6, Manhattan, New York.

That morning Ed joined Miles for breakfast in Miles' hut. They had just finished up breakfast and were finishing up their conversation at a wooden table within the small dorm Miles called his war home. 

"Oh shoot."

"What is it, Miles?" said Ed.

"I just realized that only one of my letters got sent. Man, Annie's probably mad at me now." Miles laughs.

"Well that's OK bro, just send it out now."

"Well yeah, Ed, what else am I going to do with it?"

They laugh. Miles picks up the letter and stood up from a chair. They both begin to walk over to the door when suddenly all hell drops down on military base 6.

A gargantuan explosion occurred outside his hut. Knocking both of them to the ground, like the sound barrier had just been broken 20 places all at the same time all around them. The dishes shattered as they hit the floor from the kitchen. Picture frames, lamps, anything lose on the shelves now found a place on the floor. The huts and barracks themselves were unbreakable, capable of withstanding a nuke. Not so much for the things inside of them.

 For a split second, Miles passed out. Ed was out cold on the ground. Miles had lost hearing from the explosion. The only thing he could hear was the sound of ringing in his ears and the slow steady pace of his breath. The world around him suddenly began to move in slow motion. He got up. A splitting migraine suddenly hit him like a crowbar just got smashed into his face. Slowly he turned his head over to Ed. Then he kneeled and checked his pulse and made sure he was still breathing. He shook him a little, trying to get him to wake up but he wouldn't. He was fine though, so he stood up and walked over to the door. Slowly turning the knob, then pulling towards him just enough to opened the door just a crack. He peeked his left eye through. 

But what he then saw before him changed the way he looked at the war. Changed the way he looked at the Arganians. Changed the way he looked at himself. 

Arganians by the thousands flooded into the base. Soldiers everywhere were trying to defend them off. He witnessed the death of 5 of his soldiers in one second. He slammed the door shut, jumping because his hearing returned as he slammed the door. 

"ED GET UP!" he locked the door and quickly came over to Ed. 

Ed moaned.

"Come on, Ed. We gotta get out of here."

"What happened?" Ed managed to slur. 

"RATBACKS. BY THE THOUSANDS. ED THEY'RE HERE. EVERYWHERE!"

"Wait? What! Are you serious?" Ed got up off his ass. 

Miles started running around everywhere grabbing guns, ammo, grenades, smoke bombs, flamethrowers, gas masks, blades and anything else they could find.

"Here take this." Miles said handing Ed an AK-47.

"Wait. Then what are you going to use?"

"This." He holds up a machine gun.

"Ha! Ok let's do this."

"Here take the bazooka." Miles hands it to him. "Now on the count of three. Ready?"

"Yeah." Ed said trembling.

"Ok.... 3"

They bolted out the door and almost instantly four Ratbacks were on top of them.

"GO GO GO GO!!! HEAD TO THE GATES!!" Miles let's Ed pass him and fires his machine gun like a sprinkler at a water park. Then keeps running when he sees more coming.

"MILES! THERE'S TOO MANY!!!!"

"WE'RE ALMOST THERE, DON'T LOOK BACK!!! KEEP RUNNING!"

"REALLY? I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST SUPPOSED TO STAND THERE LIKE AN IDIOT, MILES?!?!"

"JUST DON'T LOOK BACK WE'RE ALMOST THERE!"

Then one of the Ratbacks drops a bomb right over them. It explodes letting out some sort of purple sphere.

Right on top of Ed.

Miles goes flying back into the debris.

"NOOOO!!!!!" He screams bloody murder as he watches another one of his most closest friends die in the hands of those Ratbacks.

The Arganians were catching up to him. And everything, once again, went in slow motion. But instead of running, instead of fighting back, Miles laid there on the cold debris accepting his fate.

"Alright... alright, I give up." he says to the man upstairs.

Then suddenly just as the Arganians rapidly approached him, they were taken out by a distant rifle. One at a time falling above him.

He turned his head slowly to the left. There stood Johnny, Tim and Logan. With Johnny holding the rifle and Logan and Tim on either side of him. They looked like a bunch of superheroes those son-of-a-ratbacks.

Then everything went black. Miles passed out. Logan ran over to him and swung Miles onto his back.

"Alright, I got him, lets book it." said Tim.

Back at the hut, an Arganian was searching through Miles' things when it came across the letter. The one addressed to the Rhodes Family. The Arganian scanned the letter with a device it has on its arm that found where on earth these people were located. Made it easier to find them all. 

The Arganians had some sort of plan. First they would take out the soldiers and their families. Then they would come back for everybody else. When a family is being abducted. Even if there are houses with people in them around, they will only take the soldier's family. It was stupid. But a good thing for us.

Miles woke with another migraine. He began to grind his teeth from the pain. But stopped after he realized what he was doing. So instead he soaked in his surroundings.

He looked over to his right and saw Tim with a syringe filled with some kind of blue liquid. Tim gradually shifted his body towards Miles, who was sitting up against a cement wall, focusing on the needle until he looked up and saw Miles staring at him.

"Oh! Good morning, cupcake! Have a nice rest? We were worried about you." he said like a true smart-ass, putting the syringe down.

"Ha ha. Very funny. Where are we?" Miles moaned.

"In some abandoned skyscraper."

"Its not just some abandoned skyscraper Timothy. It is.... It was... The Empire State Building."

"We're in the Empire State Building?" Miles adjusted himself by propping himself up against the wall. "I've always wanted to see the Empire State Building since I was a kid."

"Well... You're bleeding all over in it." said Tim.

"What?" Miles didn't even realize he had gotten a huge Arganian scrape across his chest.

"Like you didn't feel that, Watson." Tim joked. He picked back up the syringe

"What's that?"

"Come on, Watson. You've been here for seven years and you've never seen these before? It's gonna heal your little ouey you got there, pal. But instead of a couple months, you're gonna be healed in five seconds."

"Oh, right. Haven't had to use one of those things since I got here."

"Well, lucky little you."

"Ok everybody why don't we all get some shut eye. I'll keep watch for now, we alter shifts every two hours. Except for you, Watson. You should get some shut eye."

Miles wanted to write to Annie so bad. But more than that, he wanted to go home. Instead he sat there, not getting any "shut eye" at all. The entire night he probably could have taken shift because he didn't get one ounce of sleep.