Day 6:

Location: The Watson's House, Russel, Kansas

Annie woke that morning to the sound of the doorbell ringing. It was Mr. Allen again. He had another letter from Miles.

"Here you are Mrs. Watson."

"Thanks Bobby." She starts to close the door as he walks away but quickly opens it again. "Wait! Bobby?"

"Yes?"

"Did the Rhodes across the street recieve a letter from Miles as well?'

"No mam, just you. It could have been that it wasn't delivered yet for some reason, Mrs. Watson."

"Oh thank you. Have a good day, Bobby."

"You too, Mrs. Watson."

She closed the door, called Rodney in and they read the letter at the kitchen table.

To: Annie Watson

From: Lieutenant General (LTG) Miles L. Watson

Dear Annie,

Well, honey, you're not wrong. You never could talk me out of these crazy things like this. Its in my blood. We've been fighting this war for over a decade and I've been fighting it for over seven. I've put everything into this fight and I don't intend on losing. And I'm going to do whatever it takes to get my people back. I know... Some hero, right? Well I try not to show off.

How did you manage to that exactly? Almost burn the house down I mean? Annie haha be careful. And I thought I had all the chaos over here. Looks like you got a little of your own over there too.

I remember how when Rodney and Adam were young, they used to try and sneak out after dark at sleepovers and walk down to the lake and go night swimming. Remember how many times we caught them? Remember how many times we didn't? I bet those two are still up to things like that even now. Those two are like Batman and Robin.

Sorry the letter was so short this time. I'll make sure its longer next time. But apparently I've got two letters to write. I must be famous or something.

Love you and miss you all so much, Miles

Later on that day she called up Mrs. Rhodes. Telling her that she should get the letter sometime soon. Mrs. Rhodes said no worries towards the situation. And as long as there was a letter coming, it was worth the wait.

Then, that night, Annie invited the Rhodes' over for dinner. They had a mouth watering roast with potatoes, beans, lettace, jello mold and for desert ice cream.

"So Annie, tell me, what are you up to these days?" said Sharon taking another bite of her potato.

"You know what it was like when Mick was away at war. It was hard. There are so many things to juggle still with us. I've been going to work and all, managing to somehow get home everyday, make dinner and do other things. While Rodney has been such a big help balancing school, homework, helping me around the house and helping running the arins."

"Oh good for you Rodney!"

"Honey could you pass me the salad please?" said Mick.

"Course babe."

She handed the salad over to Mick who was siting next to her.

Rodney and Adam were sitting next to each other sharing pictures on their phones to one another and then trying to see if they could resist laughing.

"This meal is amazing, Annie." said Sharon.

"Yes absolutely amazing!" said Mick.

"I might have to steal the recipe from you. its hard to find food that both men of the house like these days." Sharon joked.

Then Adam took a bite of roast and said with his mouth full, "Yeah Mrs. Watson. This is mouth watering."

"Thank you. I'm so happy you like it. Just remind me, Sharon, I'd be happy to give you the recipe."

"Yeah mom its really good." said Rodney a little too late.

"Thank you, Rodney."

After they were done eating, and Sharon insisted on helping clean up, the Rhodes family went home. And Annie and Rodney sat down after a long day and wrote back to Miles once again.

To: Lieutenant General (LTG) Miles L. Watson

From: Annie and Rodney Watson

Dear Miles,
We had the Rhodes' over for dinner tonight. We got to talking and I realized something when I looked over at the extra seat at the end of the table. That I miss you. I mean I've missed you this whole time. Don't think for a millisecond that I haven't. But I think now I've missed you more than ever. I know you said you wouldn't be coming home until the war was over. But honey, we miss you so much. And balancing everything here without you has been even harder now than ever. The neighbors down the street, the Quinn's, they're selling their house. Mrs. Quinn said she just couldn't afford the bills anymore. She said that ever since Alex got abducted up there she just hasn't been able to stay on top of things, which is understandable. She may never see him again. I feel sorry for her. I'd help her out but... With what money. We are about as stuck as she is. Well... many not AS stuck.

Anyway, I'm proud of you, Miles. You are one hell of a brave father and I'm glad you are doing what you're doing. Even though it's completely insane. Stay safe, Miles. 

Love, Annie and Rodney.