Chapter 14 (It's off)

Start from the beginning

     "Out of respect for me, you could've at least provided for her stability while keeping her away from this house, but no, you just had to throw it in my face, didn't you?" she snarled.

     "I wanted to keep an eye on her so nothing happens to the baby," Matthew defended heatedly.

Catherine snorted. "Keep an eye on her? Matthew, you can't even keep an eye on the six year old you already have here," she bit out.

    "Sapphire's five," he corrected firmly.

Catherine shook her head, ignoring the statement. "When my dad hears of this, you'll be sorry," she warned sternly.

     "I am not indebted to you or your father. I am my own boss. I own my own company," he exclaimed proudly. "And Catherine, I am sorry things had to be like this but I think we can both agree that what we had was strictly sex and business," he shrugged.

      "Don't!" she spat. "Don't say you're sorry when we damn well know you don't mean it. This engagement is off," she pulled the ring from her finger and slammed it to the counter. "You will pay for hurting and embarrassing me Matthew Mayhew. Mark my words," she seethed, and then strolled from the room.

Matthew sighed and raked his hands through his hair, leaning against the counter. He picked up the diamond ring, twirling it around the tip of his index finger. He shrugged and shoved it into his pocket. He knew Catherine would be hurt, but he had to take responsibility for his actions...no matter what. The strong relationship shared with Belle Enterprises would be lost, but so be it.

#

Kaylyn and Sapphire lay back on the bed, after having unpacked the suitcase. Kaylyn hadn't even realized she was falling asleep, until she felt her phone buzzing beside her on the bed. She jolted up and glanced at Sapphire who was now watching her, with a slight smile on her face.

She smiled, then picked up the phone, sighing when she saw Faith's picture and name pop up on the screen.

   "Hey," she answered coolly.

   "Where the hell are you? I'm banging on your door and you're not answering, so where the hell are you!" she demanded through the phone.

     "Oh, I didn't get the chance to tell you earl-" Kaylyn began.

     "Chance to tell me what?" she cut in eagerly.

Kaylyn used the tip of her tongue to moisten her lips. She swallowed, wondering how she'd break the news to Faith.

    "I er- meet me at Julie's Pastries in twenty minutes," she concluded.

     "What is going on?" Faith's concerned voice came.

      "You'll find out as soon as we meet...Bye now."

     "Wait.." Kaylyn disconnected the call.

       "Who was that?" came Sapphire's curious voice.

     "That was my best friend."

     "Judy is my best friend. She comes here sometimes for play dates," she beamed. "Are you going to meet her now?" she asked.

     "Yes I am."

      "Can I come?" she beamed with a bright smile.

Kaylyn was unsure of how she'd answer that question. She didn't want to disappoint the child by saying no, but she had to, because she had private matters to discuss with Fay -matters she didn't want a young child, especially Sapphire, to hear.

    "Not today Honey, but I promise I will, another time," she reasoned. Sapphire hung her head for a moment then smiled.

     "OK. Pinkie promise?" she grinned, sticking out her pinkie finger.

Kaylyn stuck out hers and entwined it around Sapphire's small one. "Promise," she said with a smile.

Kaylyn glanced down at her attire and thought that she should wear something more appropriate to meet Faith. Her worn out jeans and sweat shirt was not cutting it! Rummaging through the closet, she pulled out a pair of tight fitted jeans and a blouse. She glanced at Sapphire, who watched her with immense curiosity, a smile still playing on her little pink lips.

       "How long are you staying here?" she asked, and Kaylyn knew the question was going to come; she just wasn't prepared to answer it.

"I'm not sure yet honey."

Sapphire was silent and Kaylyn used that opportunity to scurry to the bathroom.

#

     "Where are you going?" Matthew asked as soon as Kaylyn was about to exit the house.

She sighed. "Out."

    "Where?" He quipped.

      "I'm going to meet a friend," she exclaimed in frustration.

       "It'll be dark soon. You can't go now," he bit out firmly and Kaylyn snorted.

      "I'd like to see you try to stop me," she snarled then went through the door.