"Thank you, Captain Obvious of the week. But we don't have time to focus on that. We need to get to Erebor. Then we can worry about this. We also need to find Bard and Bain for the girls. My wounds are the least of our worries."

"They could get infected." Oin added. I shook my head. "You're also the most wounded person here. So you are a worry for us."

"Let's not worry about that right now. Let's worry about that when we get to Erebor. Please." I said. They all nodded in response, not willing to test my stubbornness. "Now, let's get some rest as Tauriel suggested. I'll take watch." I continued.

Everyone else looked like they wanted to argue, and then stopped, finding a place to lie down. "I shall watch with you." Tauriel said, sitting next to me. I nodded my thanks, turning back to the bonfire once known as Laketown. Kili sat on my other side, and then laid down. After a few minutes of silence, the sound of steady breathing reached my ears, and I took the chance to speak to Tauriel. My hand absently ran through his hair, down his shoulders and back, and back up.

"Thank you. For saving Kili. I know that you had things to do, and I know that Legolas needed you. So I want to thank you. I'm not quite sure what I'd do if I had known he'd died."

"You do realize that I saved him not just for your or his brother's sake?" She said with a small snap to her voice.

"I am well aware. But you could have just easily left, leaving him to die out of spite. And you did not. For that I am thankful. You are very kind."

"You are very pure of heart to admit that." Tauriel responded.

"Why do you say that?" I turned to her, tilting my head in confusion. She laughed softly, and smiled. She was beautiful, it didn't surprise me how Legolas looked at her.

"Because any other person would have brushed off the fact, and gotten defensive. And while you did at the beginning, you quickly pushed that away. You have not judged me for being an elf even after all these years. You were thankful despite knowing my reasons behind saving him." She answered thoughtfully.

"Well, while I don't remember much of you and Legolas babysitting me as a young child, the one thing I do: How kind you were. You and Legolas. You were always fair. You knew your duty, and yet you let your heart decide. I can admit that very few elves would do such a thing. Most elves, such as Legolas, would have let him die. And you did not. Tell me, had you not held such feelings for Kili, would you still have saved him?" She paused for a moment, thinking about her answer.

"Yes. I would. Because I would not be able to live with myself that I had let someone die when I had the power to help him. As you know, elves believe that all life is sacred. And that is true, though they bend those rules around the dwarves given our rocky past with them. But I still would be unable to let him die, even if he is a 'sworn enemy.'" I nodded, and we continued watching the burning waters, despite knowing nothing would happen. A silence ensued for a while, maybe ten minutes. I hummed a small tune, whatever came into my head. I stopped, and asked another question.

"Does Legolas realize how you feel?" I said softly, and slowly. I did not want to anger her. She stiffened visibly. Then she turned her gaze on me again.

"I believe that Legolas has an inkling of how I feel... and he does not like that fact. Why do you ask?" She answered in a slow manner, choosing her words as she went.

"While we were in the dungeons, and we were speaking of stars, and fire moons, I saw Legolas looking down. His eyes were hardened in frustration, betrayal almost, upon seeing you speaking to us. I know that you were mostly speaking to Kili, but that matters not. He is well aware of how you feel; but are you aware of how he feels?"