The Lonely Mountain

"Iridian. Kili. Get up. We need to get moving if we're to reach Erebor." Fili's voice filtered through the fog. I slid my eyes open sluggishly. I blinked a couple times. The hand around my waist tightened, and Kili's face buried further into my back. "Now." Fili laughed. I lifted my head up to see Bofur and Oin having a small conversation over some berries.

The events of last night flooded into my mind, and I smiled, bringing my fingers across the braid that was previously resting on Kili's arm. "Come on, melamin. Get up." I shoved him lightly, sitting up. He groaned, before opening his eyes. They traveled to the braid in the side of my head, and he smiled, sitting up as well.

"Good to see you too, Amralime." He teased, pecking my cheek. I stood up, heading toward the group around the remains of the fire. I grabbed a small handful of the berries in the center, eating them slowly. Their chatter slowly died down as Kili sat next to me, his arm around my waist. Their eyes slowly scanned toward our hair, to see braids on the same side of our heads.

"About time, you two." Bofur and Oin said in unison.

"Though... Iridian, that looks like the same bead that mum gave him when he was a teen." Fili interjected. I threw the last berry in my hand across the circle, hitting him in the eye. He clutched it, faking an injury. "Oh! My eye! I fear I might lose it!"

"That's because mine is in my bag, which in Erebor with Dwalin." I said. "And actually, can we please get going? I know we'd all like to see our family." I stood, and the others did as well. "I'd also like to get these burns looked at." I answered sheepishly.

"They're not looking to good." Bofur stated once again. I rolled my eyes. We put dirt over the fire, and we started moving out. We climbed up the mountain at a pretty fast pace. Soon, Fili, Kili and I had gotten in front of Bofur and Oin. There was a pretty steep slope headed toward us. We started clambering up, and my hands burned. I grimaced and we reached the top in about a half hour.

Once Fili and I got to the top, along with Kili, he pulled me to the side for a moment. Kili had a curious look on his face, his eyebrows raised. I smiled back, trying to ease his mind, when I was just as worried. "I didn't do anything." I started, trying to think of things I did wrong. Fili shook his head, laughing.

"Namad, I just wanted to say congratulations, and thank you. My brother deserves someone who really understands him, and that's you. You saw him for who he was, and you saw nothing other than that. So thank you. It's nice to you I'll be able to call you sister soon for real." He winked slightly, clapping me on the shoulder. Just then, Bofur crested the slope, followed shortly by Oin.

We rested for a short bit, before continuing full force to the mountain. We all stared with a fixed determination at the mountain. We were so close, I could feel the weight of the Lonely Mountain on my shoulders. Nonetheless, I straightened and continued toward our new home. I looked back to see Bofur's jaw slack as he clutched his hat, Oin his hearing trumpet.

Another hour of trekking, and we finally arrived at the foot of the mountain. My eyes widened as we stood there, taking in the mountain and its full glory. The solitary peak rose into the clouds, no longer seen by our eyes. It was powerful, commanding, and it didn't feel lonely in the slightest. Quite the opposite; it seemed like it was the only mountain worthy of its grandeur, and that was often mistaken for "lonely."

"By Mahal, it's beautiful." I breathed, almost afraid to speak in such a presence. A hand swiped over my cheeks, and I saw Kili looking at me with amusement on his face. I brushed my hands over my eyes. When had I started crying? Over seeing a mountain? I was almost brought to my knees upon seeing it. The stories I read about truly came short to really seeing the mountain in the flesh, albeit burned flesh.