Chapter 28

I awoke on the couch, the only difference was, Damien wasn't next to me.

I rubbed at my eyes and let a small yawn escape my lip before sitting up.

I walked outside. My first instinct was to look for Damien. The empty spaghetti plates still sat on the table along with our half empty glasses of wine.

Damien wasn't outside. I raised a eyebrow in confusion and made my way back to the kitchen. He wasn't there either.

Worry quickly shot through me since the last time I saw Damien he was almost drowning in his own tears and I still didn't know why.

"Baby?" I called softly.

I walked out of the kitchen, hearing no response.

"What the hell" I said to myself.

I sat back down on the couch, rummaging through old magazines on the coffee table looking for some kind of note stating his whereabouts.

As I was looking through the magazines, a ruffle coming from the hallway caught my attention, followed by a sniffle.

I looked up from the magazines and slowly got up "Hello?" I tried again. I reached under the couch for a emergency gun Damien kept.

'I have a lot of enemies. It's smart to keep a couple guns around anywhere I stay' he'd told me in the past. I placed my hand on the cold weapon and made my way down the hallway trying to make my footsteps as soft as possible.

The further I went down the hallway the louder the ruffle noise got now accompanied with some quiet mumbling.

I spotted a light through a crack of a slightly closed door.

I placed my hand on the knob and turned it slowly, pushing the door open. I quickly held up the gun. My arms were stiff. "Who's there?" I said in a loud voice. I tried not to show any sign of fear when fear was probably written all over me.

My eyes landed on Damien grabbing clothes from drawers and shoving them in a suitcase that was placed on the bed. He paused and looked up at the sound of my voice. He glanced over at the gun and continued packing before saying "Put that down".

His mood had changed from last night. He was now either angry or upset. Hard to tell with Damien.

I obeyed and set it down by the door. I watched his every move with my eyes. "What are you doing?" I questioned.

"Packing up" he answered, stating the obvious.

"Why?"

"Because we need to go" he answered.

I watched him with confusion. What was going on?

"Why?" I asked again.

"Because I said so"

Well, this wasn't working.

"Are you okay?" I tried.

"Yes" he zipped up the luggage and brought another one out the closet, reaching for the drawer with my clothes in it.

I quickly stood in front of it to stop him from packing up my clothes "You didn't look okay last night"

"Move" He looked me right in the eyes.

"I'm not leaving"

"Says who?" He chuckled as if I were joking.

"Me" I said as stern as possible. I took a deep breath "You didn't look okay last night" I repeated.

"Yesterday was yesterday, today is today and we are leaving today so move out the way so I can pack your shit" He spat. "Understood?"

I shook my head no and he just raised a eyebrow surprised by my response. He grabbed my arm and pushed me to the side just hard enough to make me loose my balance a bit.

At times like this I knew Damien was dangerous so I just grabbed the gun again when he was not looking, for my own protection, and went back into the living room. My intentions weren't to shoot him. If things got bad, I'd just scare him with it. Who knows if it'd work though.

I sat for what seemed forever when finally Damien came out of the room. He placed two luggages and my feet. I looked down at the luggages and back at him, crossing my arms over my chest. "Are you going to give me an explanation or are we going to sit here until I make you give me an explanation?"

"Mom died" he said.

"You have a mom?"

"No shit. I had to come from somewhere, Nova" He took a deep breath, rubbing the back of his neck with one hand. "She's not my real mom. My real mom died when she was in labor but this woman... I call her my mom. She raised Kyle, Andrew and I. We barely talked to her anymore but she was still important and we still looked after her and now she's dead. We failed her" He said with no sign of emotion in his face but his words always hinted at the fact that maybe he's not so emotionless as I always think he is.

Typical Damien.

"I'm sorry" I said. I almost never have the right thing to say to Damien to at least try to make him feel better.

Typical Nova.

"Yeah, me too" He responded.

"How'd she die?" I bit the inside of my cheek knowing it was a risky question.

"Doctors say lung cancer but mom never smoked a ciggarate in her life. I know it. She was always scolding Kyle and I for smoking. She could've just got lung cancer without smoking, I know. It's odd though because mom never showed any signs of sickness. So, I call bullshit on the doctors diagnosis. We're going back for some answers and revenge because nobody is going to take mom away from me and not deal with the consquences"

I nodded, unsure about what to say to calm him down.

"And I'll help" I finally said.

Probably not the best thing to say when his intentions were to probably harm innocent people in order to get the answers he wanted. I'm not sure why I do or say things sometimes. It's almost like Damien brings out a side of me that even I'm unknown to. A side that wants to push the limits and be fierce and strong and everyday I feel like that side of me is strengthening more and more. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It's crazy... but then again Damien and my relationship is crazy. The whole world is crazy but it just somehow works. It just ... functions and I'm happy it works out if it means that I get to be in this twisted, messed up but absolutely perfect thing that Damien and I call a relationship.

He smirked a little "Thats my girl, c'mon lets go princess"

These were the moments I lived for. The smallest comments or actions that could just brighten my day up instantly.

I stood up and grabbed both the luggages just to have Damien take them from me. "Grab the keys and let's go. Time is ticking" he said.