Chapter 4

(A/N: Above is a picture of how I imagined Nova's whole outfit and hairstyle for the date)

I sat in the bathtub. I scraped all the dirt off my skin with a sponge. It was five p.m. now, two more hours until Damien arrived. I did not want to go. Was it a date? I doubt it. He was probably just forcing me to go to dinner with him to bother me. I squirted shampoo on my hand and proceeded to massaging it onto my scalp.

Everything that had happened during my jog kept replaying over and over in my head.

Why am I even following his orders? I'm not a dog! I couldn't believe myself.

I was getting ready to go to a date that I shouldn't have to go to if I don't want to! Yet here I was. I was angry with myself for following the idiotic orders of Damien.

I rinsed the shampoo off and wrapped a towel around my body.

Maybe he was possessive. Perhaps he has a dominant personality and doesn't know how to act around girls. He can't be that bad. Right?

He'll be here at seven, Nova. I reminded myself. If he takes you to a fancy restaurant, are you really risking your dignity by showing up in sweatpants and a tank top?

A part of me felt like screaming: Why should you care about your appearance? Risk your dignity?! Fuck off! You're being forced into a date with a psychopath. Show him you're not scared and don't dress up. If he gets upset, at least he'll lose his temper somewhere public. There was to be someone who sees his meltdown.

He did say he'll take me whether I'm properly dressed or not. Was he serious though?
I looked down at my arm to see his red fingertips imprinted on my skin, where he had grabbed me before.

He was serious.

Great.

I sighed and let the towel fall to the floor, revealing my naked body. I put on some undergarments before walking up to my closet for a dress.

I don't think I even own one that was elegant. All the dresses I did own were a little above my knees and looked casual, something you would wear with a beanie plopped on your head or Converse thrown on your feet. Elegant dresses had to be at least knee lengthened, right? I groaned. I don't know! I'm horrible at this! I did have one dress though when I was going through my girly phase after giving up on my 'tumblr' phase. Yeah, I went through a bunch of phases when I was fifteen.

It was a nude low-cut party dress. With the right shoes and hairstyle I bet I could make it look appropriate for dinner. It was better than all the other dresses that I owned. Hopefully it still fit, I remember adoring it.

When I slipped it on it looked even better then I remember. It was a little loose before but now it hugged my body which I loved.

I stepped in front of the mirror and smiled at the reflection staring back at myself.

Perfect.

***

After tying my hair in a bun and picking out some matching shoes, I quickly ran to bathroom where I kept all my makeup.

However, things don't always go as planned with me. My clumsiness took over and my heel got caught on my rug... so I tripped.

Typical Nova move.

I groaned and slowly got up. I needed to speed up the process. I didn't have enough time to do my full face of makeup so I decided to keep it natural. I added quick strokes of mascara to my eyelashes and picked out a dark red lipstick to my lips. To finish the look, I put on some earrings.