Chapter Thirty-Eight

Cassie

My smile is permanent now.

I have never imagined I could feel as happy as I do waking up in Owen's hotel bed. When I had seen him talking to that other girl I had lost my mind for a second, but what really matters is that I only got that upset because I am totally in love with Owen.

Being with him was more than I ever imagined it could be. I felt like we were in a steamy movie or something, it wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. It had been hot and beautiful, and everything I want to remember my first time being.

I sat up in the bed and looked around the room but Owen was nowhere to be found. I looked for a note, but he hadn't left one. I pulled my clothes on and walked out onto the balcony and scanned the beach beneath me but I didn't see him down there either. Maybe he had gone to grab something to eat. I know I am starving right now. I looked at my phone and saw it was already a little after 5. I had a text from both Margo and Trevor.

Margo: Hey honey, you coming home for dinner?

Trevor: Hey Cassie I'd love to take you out sometime. Just let me know:)

I rolled my eyes. Margo has such a mommy complex now. I laughed to myself but I did respond that I would love some dinner. Who am I to turn down Margo's cooking, she had been the one to teach me to cook so hers is even better than mine. I wasn't really sure what to say to Trevor yet so I just dismissed the message.

If I was being honest, I do still feel some things for him. When he had kissed me it had been just like old times. I know to Owen, Trevor seems like the 'other guy', but really for me Owen is the 'other guy'. I woke up in the hospital still feeling like I was dating Trevor, and that I was still in love with him. Meeting Owen was like cheating on Trevor to me at first. Now I know my feelings for Owen are much stronger than the ones I have for Trevor, but I am still not sure what I should say to him yet.

I decided to walk down to the lobby and see if Owen's truck was gone or not. I rode the elevator down but when it opened a man shoved me back inside and pushed the button for the doors to shut. I backed away from him and tried to scream but he grabbed my neck, stopping any sound from escaping.

He pulled a knife from his sleeve and held it up for me to see. "You try that again and you won't ever have another chance." He threatened me. "I want to take my time with you."

I swallowed hard. "My boyfriend is here, he will be looking for me." I told the man hoping to spook him.

The man just tilted his head and smiled. "You mean Owen Tracer?" He asked.

I was shocked to hear his name come out of this man's mouth. "You know Owen?" I questioned.

The man chuckled. "Oh I know him alright." He responded. "The little piece of shit."

"What is this about?" I asked with fear in my voice.

The elevator arrived back on our floor and the man threw his arm over my shoulders and whispered into my ear. "We are going to your room." He informed me. "Don't make me kill you in the hallway. That's messy, I don't like messy. Sound good darling?"

I nodded my head once.

The doors opened and we passed another couple as we got off of the elevator and walked down the hall to my room. I thought hard about screaming for help to those people, but something about the way this man was carrying himself told me it was best to do as he says. When we reached the room he held out his hand expectantly, waiting on me to hand over the key. I slid it into his hand and then he shoved me into the room.

I stumbled and fell in front of the bed. I heard him laugh sickly as he closed the door behind him. I turned around and saw him pull a pair of handcuffs from his back pocket. "Don't get too excited now." He told me. "It's nothing kinky sadly. I just need to keep you restrained until we can get Mr. Tracer here." He helped me from the floor then turned me to face away from him while he cuffed my hands tightly behind my back. I held back a wince as the metal dug into my skin. "Sorry, I couldn't find my fluffy pink ones to make you more comfortable. These will just have to do." He chuckled to himself over his little joke. "Do I need to gag you, or can you behave?" He held up a nasty looking rag.

I shook my head and leaned away from the disgusting thing. He smiled at my reaction. I looked at this man in front of me and I felt something pulling at the back of my mind. There was something familiar about him. His piercing eyes and sick smile. I knew them from somewhere but I couldn't quite place it.

He held me by my shoulder and led me to go sit in the middle of the bed. He sat down beside me and pulled out his phone. "Hello Owen." He said into the phone. My heart rate picked up and tears filled my eyes at the thought of him. I hadn't even really let fear set into me until right this second. "Oh, yes. I have heard that." He said. I wanted to know why the heck this is happening and what it has to do with Owen. I watched in terror as the man pulled a gun from behind him. It had a long black thing attached to the muzzle that I wasn't sure what it was. "I'd like to have a conversation with you in person." The man told Owen. "Oh, I think you'll find we have plenty to talk about." He said into the phone and then covered the mouth piece and looked to me. "Say hello to your boyfriend dear."

I stared at the phone for a second before I leaned into it. "Owen?" I said into the phone.

"Cassie? Cassie are you ok?" Owen's voice sounded even more terrified than I was feeling right now. I went to answer him but the man jerked the phone away from my face.

"I suggest you get here quickly." The man threatened Owen and then hung up the phone. He looked over to me and leaned his head against the headboard. "So," He said. "How long do you reckon it will take him to get here?" He asked. I couldn't answer, I just kept staring at him trying to figure out how I know him.

The man leaned forward and got inches from my face. I smelt the whiskey on his breath and I instantly remembered how I know him.

That terror I was waiting to feel is here now.

Full blast.