Chapter Twenty-Nine

Cassie

"Oh my God." I blurted. "I am so leaving."

"Cassie, wait." Owen's voice was sweet. "I don't want you to leave." I stole a glance up to his eyes. He was looking at me carefully, and he seemed to be telling the truth.

I stayed in my chair. "What are you doing here Owen?"

His face flushed just barely enough for me to notice it. "I...Well, Troy called..." He was searching for what to say. "He told me you liked me and that I should get my ass down here, so I did." He finally got out, then stared down at the food in front of him. He smiled when he looked at the pizza in front of me. "You got my favorite." He commented.

I smiled. "We can share it, if you want." I offered.

"Here." He said as he picked up the pizza cutter. "I will give you half of this one, and I will take half of that one. That way we both get to have them both."

I followed his lead and cut the pizza in front of me in half and then slid it over to his side while he placed his half in front of me.

We ate in silence for a while. I kept trying not to look at him, but whenever I would he would catch me and smile.

"So why did you come?" I finally asked him.

"I told you, Troy called." He said again.

"I know that." I explained. "What I mean is, why did you want to come after he told you that I liked you." I felt my face get warm again as I said I liked him.

He let out a nervous laugh. "Well I guess because I like you too."

"Really?" I asked skeptically. "Why?"

Owen rolled his eyes. "I don't know Cassie." He laughed. "I just do." He took a bite of his food and then continued to talk with his mouth full. "You're just different or something. I don't really know. I just feel responsible for you, I care what happens to you, or what you're thinking about. I haven't ever gave two shits about a girl before. So the fact that I do about you is just different. When Troy called you have no idea how honestly happy I was." He smiled at me.

I couldn't believe Owen was talking about me that way. I had only just started to feel like maybe I had some feelings for him, but it sounded like he had been thinking about this for a while.

I laughed when he took another bite. "Owen, you've got sauce on your nose." I giggled at him. He wiped at it with the side of his hand but missed. "You're helpless aren't you?" I joked as I reached across the table and wiped it off of him with my napkin.

"Thanks babe." He laughed.

"Ew." I said. "Don't call me babe, I have heard you call other girls that."

He made a serious face. "Well then, what should I call you?"

"Um, Cassie seems to work just fine." I said.

"That's no fun." He informed me. "I will just have to think really hard on a pet name for you."

"You just go ahead and do that then." I ate some more of my food. "So...?" I said lost for what to talk about now.

Owen picked up the flowers from the floor by his chair where he had laid them when he sat down. He held them up and passed them over to me. "I almost forgot I had gotten you these." He laughed. "If it makes you happy, I haven't ever bought flowers for a girl before. Or anything else actually." I took them and smelled them deeply. I have always loved the way roses smell. "They may be a little windblown. It is kind of hard to hold those and ride the bike at the same time."