Chapter Twenty-Three

Owen

I woke up again around 5pm. I rolled onto my back and regretted the movement instantly. My body was aching and the yawn that broke through me felt like it was going to cause me to rip open from the inside out. My mouth was beyond dry. I was prepping myself to be able to get up and go downstairs to get a drink when I looked at the pillow next to me.

There was a pill bottle and a note.

I had to go on to work. Only take one of these every four hours or they will give you a killer headache, also I put a cooler I found next to your bed so you don't have to go downstairs. I hope you feel better today:) Cassie

This girl is going to be the death of me.

I leaned over the side of my bed and sure enough there was my small cooler that I use sometimes when the boys and I go camping. I popped the lid and saw that it was filled with ice and some different drinks. She had to have gone to the store for this stuff. I know none of this was in my fridge. Tucked in the side was a paper bag. I pulled it out and took out its contents.

Cassie had made me four sandwiches. They weren't anything special, it looked like turkey, ham, and cheese. The fact that she had thought to do any of this just melted me. I felt like the Grinch in How the Grinch Stole Christmas when his heart grows in his chest.

Cassie had thought of everything.

I grabbed my phone off the table and texted Troy to get his ass over here. I needed his help with a few things.

***

Troy walked into my room an hour later as I was watching TV and trying not to give into the drowsiness that the pills were causing.

"What's up dude?" He said cheerfully as he sat down on the bench at the foot of my bed.

"I want to do something for Cassie, but I'm not sure what, or how since I am stuck in bed." I told him.

He gave me a crazy look. "What do you mean you want to do something for her?"

This shit is so embarrassing. I don't know anything about doing something nice for a chick though. I don't have to be nice to Baily, or any of the other girls who hang around with me. They aren't looking for that. "I don't know man." I said smiling slightly. "She has been really good to me and I wanted to do something nice, like a surprise or some shit."

Troy narrowed his eyes at me for a long second, but then shrugged. "Ok, I will help."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah you will, seeing as your mouth is the reason I am laid up in this bed in the first place."

"Oh come one, you're going to hang that over me for the rest of my life aren't you?" He joked. "You could have filled me in that the shipment was light, then maybe I wouldn't have mouthed off at them."

"I am sure you would have found some way to cause trouble, no matter what." I said. "Anyway, I was thinking we could rent some movies, some girly shit, but stuff she hasn't seen yet so anything made after 2011. Then I thought we could get her some dinner, and I don't know...give her a nice night at home?" I could feel my face heating up as I spoke.

"I think Cass would like that." Troy nodded. I hated the fact that he just called her 'Cass.' "Dude, she needs a phone too." He added.

"That's a good idea." I agreed. "Not just so you can call her though." I pointed out.

"Bro, are you going to have a problem with me taking her out?" He asked. "If I thought you'd had feelings for her I wouldn't have asked her. I just didn't think you were into this sort of thing."

I got defensive. "I don't have feelings for Cassie." I said quickly. "Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" I joked half-heartedly. "I just wanted to do something nice, end of story. She's a good girl, I just wanted to thank her. I could care less if you take her out." I knew the whole speech was a lie, but I hoped that Troy bought it.

He nodded. "Good man, I thought a girl had actually gotten to you." He laughed. "Anyway, I want to date her so I am glad we aren't going to have to fight over a girl. Especially since I think I could actually take you right now and I wouldn't want to hurt your pride."

I laughed with him, even though in my head all I could think of was how bad I didn't want Cassie to date him. Troy is my best friend, and yes he is even a good guy, but Cassie...

I couldn't finish the thought. I've told myself over and over I can't do this, yet stupid little high school thoughts keep popping into my head whenever I think of her.

Cassie is the perfect girl.

There was no denying that.

But Cassie isn't the perfect girl for me.

I just don't want her to be the perfect girl for Troy either, or any other man on earth if I am being honest.

Troy and I spent the next few hours going over our plans to give Cassie the night she deserves. I was embarrassed even to think it but I was very hopeful that she would like it. She was going to come home and have a perfect night to herself. I had thought of everything, just like she had for me today. I wanted her to be as impressed by my planning as I had been by her. A small secret thought of whether or not maybe Cassie was feeling the same way about me snuck into my head, but I quickly banished it. This wasn't about making Cassie fall for me or whatever. I'm not trying to get anything from her, I just want her to be happy.

I realize that I have never felt that way about anyone.

I'm selfish, not selfless.

Not with Cassie though, never with Cassie.