I looked over at Lafayette and smiled. "I've told you I loved you right?"

He laughed. "Everyday."

"Good."

"You sure you're okay?"

I nodded. "I'm swell."

He nodded, too. He didn't say anything for a few minutes, but just looked down, thinking. He glanced back up at me, though, and asked. "Do you believe in God?"

I was surprised by the random question, but thought about it. "I don't know," I answered. "I think I believe in some sort of God, but it could be more than one, male, female, both, something beyond my comprehension. I used to think about it a lot actually. Kenneth and I would always wonder about it. He believed in God, but he was really terrified of Him, which is sad, because I don't think you should be scared of God. I mean, I think there is a place you go when you die, like Heaven, but not exactly. I don't really like to think about it." I shrugged. "Many philosophers and great thinkers have spent time trying to figure it out for people like us."

He smiled and rested his hand on mine. "You've mentioned reincarnation before, right?"

"Yeah, but I hate reincarnation. I don't want to start a new life. I was to remember this one."

"Wanna remember me?"

"Duh. Like, I know it's basically the same people in your life, but no. You could be ugly in the next life."

He laughed, and when he did Marcus's toes moved slightly. I didn't mention it to Lafayette because the doctor said his toes and fingers moved, so I shrugged it off.

"I would be terrified to wake up after this long alone. Let's hope there's a nurse in here when he does. Oh, maybe a male nurse who's really hot. Then Marcus can just fall for him," I said.

"That quickly?"

"Yeah. I would assume that he would find comfort in the first person he sees when he wakes up, when he's scared and confused and remembers everything. Kind of like how little baby animals think the first thing they see is their mother. So the first thing he sees should be a hot guy, because then he'll want to be with him."

"Well, let's hope so."

Lafayette and I sat there for about thirty more minutes, just talking. He told me some good memories about Marcus, like how he would always sing Buddy Holly or how he knew how to tap dance. They were pleasant memories, and I wished he would wake up and be happy soon. Lafayette eventually got up and said he was going to get some fast food from across the street real quick for us, because he said the hospital food wasn't good. I was lazy and didn't want to get up, but also because I just didn't like the fact that Marcus was always alone in the dimly lit room. He could use company for more than a short amount of time, even if he didn't know anyone was actually with him. Hopefully he did know, because then maybe he'd be less afraid.

I leaned forward onto the bed and looked at his face, wondering about his past, before Lafayette. His mother committed suicide, which was terrifying. I couldn't even bare the thought of not having my mother with me. Then apparently he didn't have the best relationship with his dad, but his dad must care somewhat if he's still keeping his son alive. I sighed and rested my head on the mattress, closing my eyes. I started to quietly sing Buddy Holly's "Everyday." I imagined Marcus singing this, and deep down I think Marcus made Lafayette happy, at least sometimes. I was sure he made him worry, and maybe even feel guilty, but he must've made him happy sometimes. I was certain of it.

"Everyday it's a-gettin' closer, goin' faster than a rollercoaster. Love like yours will surely come my way. A-hey, a-hey-hey"

Gently, something grazed my head, which freaked me out and I instantly shot my head up. My head had been right next to his hand, and so I calmed down. Then it dawned on me. He moved when he heard Lafayette laugh, and when I sang. So...could he hear us?