Chapter 17

The opera included some crossing of swords between the protagonist and the antagonist to win the heroine's heart.

They were seated at the upper box. All of them, the whole Middleton family. The invitation that came from Lady Constance gave them an opportunity to gather in another place except Felton House.

Their appearance added to the blooming pride of the meticulous lady for it gave an impression of her social influence. Even if the gathering meant another thing for the Middletons, being able to have them heed an invitation could give the inviting party a boost of honor for the Earl of Felton was one of the most opulent and influential person in the society.

The opera ended tragically but received a great roar of applause from its spectators.

After the curtains dropped covering the stage and the lights began to illuminate the theater, they moved out of their box to leave.

"Zach," Ralph nudged at his side to get attention. He knew that the younger cousin's mind was set to leave the theater and retire on his bed. Sometimes, he could not believe that a person could be so fond of sleeping during the night when it was the time when all sorts of entertainment arises.

"Yes?" Zach calmly turned to his older cousin. This night, he was not in the mood to argue with him about anything. The show he just saw took some of his boredom away and it was thanks to Ralph. He deserved some sane words.

"Want to meet the heroine?" he asked.

He thought that some new faces other than the ton would do Zach a great help in overcoming his anti-social tendencies. Since he noticed that he enjoyed the opera, maybe it would interest him to know more about the theater. He happened to know a handful of them.

"I don't think it's necessary," Zach answered.

The opera was good but he saw no immediate need to know the people behind it. The appreciation of the spectators, including himself, should suffice to satisfy the apparent hard work poured on it. The night was deep and he was beginning to feel drowsy. They should be back in Felton House.

"You liked it right? Why don't you give them your felicitations for the great job?"

"They have received so much of congratulations. Didn't you hear the applause? That should be enough."

As he had expected, Zachary was being difficult. Those indolent eyes were actually obstinate and could get under anyone's skin in no time. It seemed that as much as possible, Zach would avoid meeting people. What kind of earl he would be if he continued to be like this?

"Well, I want to give them mine personally," Ralph said.

"Then go, we'll just wait outside," Zach pushed.

"No, you're going with me."

"Why do I have to?"

"Because I want to...Father, we'll be following later," Ralph told his father who was an arm's length away from them.

Arthur nodded. With that, Ralph towed Zach against the leaving crowd. Letting go of the younger cousin, they pushed their way to the backstage. Ralph had asked an attendant to be their lead on their way.

With Zachary behind him, he went to where his acquaintances were and have them his words of praise for their performances.

The backstage was a place different from the stage he watched form the other side. There were racks of costumes here and there. People with face paints and wigs scurried and some were changing. Robust men carried the stuffs that were used in the stage earlier. It was busier and noisier here.