Chapter 24- The Game

Start from the beginning

The referee blew the whistle and the game started.

Christine got the ball and passed it to Natasha. She faked a shot and swiftly, passed it to me and I went in for the shot. Our first goal was made.

The game raged on and in the third quarter, we were leading 34 to 27. It was a close fight and Mr. Burns decided to switch out Natasha and placed Victoria in.

“Careful of number 8. She’s rough.” I heard Natasha warn Victoria.

We got into positions again and the referee blew the whistle. This time Heather’s got the ball and they shot a 3-point. Great, now it’s 34 to 30.

I groaned. We are NOT going to lose to them again.

Towards the end of the third quarter, number 8 fouled Victoria. Horror filled me as Victoria fell to the ground. She slid on the ground and bruised her right elbow and knees.

The referee blew the whistle and Victoria made her free throw shots. Now, the score is 46 to 41. Afterwards, Mr. Burns called for a time out and I stared at Victoria.

She was examining her cuts and Mr. Burns asked her, “Victoria, you played well, but I don’t think you should continue.”

She looked down, disappointed and sat on the bench. Mr. Burns called Avery and Natalie, “Avery, you’ll substitute Fiona for the last quarter. Natalie, you’ll substitute Victoria.”

We walked back up on court. I asked Natalie, “Could we switch opponents? You’ll defend 13 and I’ll get 8.”

Natalie gave in and we switched places.

I walked up to number 8 and glared at her. I got into position and when Jessica got the ball, I pushed my way forward and got the ball and made a shot in.

I grinned.

Since Avery was playing in the game, I got worried for her, as I was afraid the same thing would happen to her. I kept a constant lookout for her.

In the final quarter, it became so tensed. Everyone was perspiring and panting. I looked over to the scoreboard. 50 to 48, we were leading.

Everyone gave their best. Avery went in for a lay up but they intercepted the ball. They made a shot. Great, now we’re on tie. The game surged on. In the last three minutes of the game, Heather’s were leading, 56 to 53.

Again, Avery attempted a basket and it went in. 56 to 55 now. I looked to the clock, 1 minute and 30 seconds. We cannot lose the qualifying rounds. WE MUST NOT.

Mr. Burns called for a timeout.

“Okay, girls. It’s 1 minute and 30 seconds till the end. We have until then to score a basket and we are losing by one point. When you get back on court, I want all of you to stall. Don’t let them get the ball. Get every rebound. When you see the last 10 seconds, I want you all to pass the ball to Natalie.” He looked to Natalie, “Natalie, I want you to fake and in that moment, Jessica, you will run to the three point line and Natalie, you will pass the ball to Jessica. Jessica, you will attempt that basket. Make sure it goes in. Our team’s victory depends on that shot.”

Jessica and Natalie nodded their heads and we headed back out to court.

We did according to plan and when the timer showed 10 seconds, Christine had the ball and passed it Natalie. She pretended to attempt a shot and the opponent jumped. When she jumped, Natalie swiftly passed the ball to Jessica.

She aimed; shot and our eyes followed the ball. And it went through the basket. The timer went off and the referee blew the whistle.

The crowd stood up and cheered. We won.

We could get into the quarterfinals.

Now with the match out of the way, we could finally relax with a sleepover.

Jessica:

When the match was over, I went to look for number 8 to make her pay for what she did to Victoria.

I entered the locker rooms and walked over to the older locker rooms that they were at.

“What’s your problem? Happy that you’ve won and come to rub it in our faces?” Number 9 taunted.

I shook my head and I scanned the room for number 8. I spotted number 8 opening her locker. I grabbed her from the back and turned her to face me. I pushed her against the lockers and drew my fist back. I thought of the incident that happened earlier in the game and I gave her a punch in the cheek.

She stared at me in horror. Everyone else gasped. “That was for fouling my teammate.” I whispered into her ear and walked off.

I walked back to our locker room and Michelle asked, “Hey, where’ve you been?”

“Somewhere.” I replied coldly.

“Chill, at least now we can party over at Andrea’s right?”

“Yeah, I guess.” I smiled.

B5 sleepovers are one of a kind. Each time we have one; it’ll be something different, something crazy.