Chapter Twenty-one: Champions & Winners

It was beyond shocking.
It wasn't astonishing though.
It was mesmerizing.

Even I was surprised.

She beat him. She actually did it.

We all looked at her.

"So what are we doing next?" She asked us all enthusiastically.

She then realized what was going on.

"Is something wrong? Did I do anything?" She asked looking actually a bit worried.

"No, you didn't Syd, but no one has ever beaten Mark at this."

"Oh. Well who cares you win some you lose some. Let's move on. What do you wanna do?"

The rest of the boys and I snapped out of our trance and started thinking of things to do.

"Hey who wants to stop by the drugstore and buy a load of junk food. I hope I'm not the only one who wants to pig out after being on a diet for such a long time." I said dreaming of cake and soda.

They all looked at their stomachs and then at me and raced out of the house towards their cars.

"HEY!"

I shouted at them after they realized they didn't have their keys.

I wouldn't say I'm a bad person but I just happened to find all their keys in the same place and decided to scatter them all over the house in places they wouldn't look just so they could walk.

"If you wanna pig out you have to pay for it. Start walking. You know the way."

I couldn't help but grin as they dragged themselves for the next half hour all the way to the drugstore.

But out of the corner of my eye I saw Mark and he wasn't dragging himself. It looked like he was dragging his mind.

_____________

I always felt like you should never shop when you're hungry because you always seem to buy more than you need.

This time I actually found that theory true.

We went from the ice cream section to the chips to the candy to the rest of the store.

We bought a weeks worth of junk food.

I probably should've thought this through being captain and all but I mean you should still get to be a kid sometimes and just have some fun.

We sat down in the basement and started to eat while we played video games.

I saw Mark sitting a bit distant from the rest of us eating a bag of Doritos.

I thought I should probably go talk to him since it looked like there fog around his head.

I sat down on the bean bag next to him with my brownie and asked him,

"So what's wrong?"

"What? Wait why? Does it look like there's something wrong?"

He looked panicked.

"Mark just calm down, it's me."

"Oh. Do you want something?"

"No."

"Then why are you-"

"I need something."

"Well what is it?"

"I need to know what's going on with you."

"What do you mean? There's nothing wrong." He said as he chuckled lightly.

"Mark you already know you can't lie to me. What's up?"

"The sky, clouds, atmosphere, the international space sta-"

"Don't try to be a smart alec. Tell me."

He sighed and ran his hands through his already messed up hair.

"I don't really know how to say this." He said.

"Say what?" I asked.

"I may happen to like your best friend.."

"Oh. Ohhhhh. Oh my gosh."

"Yeah.. Are you mad?"

"No, actually not really."

"Then what are you?"

"I guess I'm just.. Surprised."

"Why?"

"I just didn't think my childhood best friend would end up being my frenemies's.. Crush."

"Neither did I."

"So what's interesting about her? You know, why do you like her?"

"I don't know exactly what it is but I do know that she gets under my skin like no one else does yet finds a way to look past my annoying, cocky behavior."

"Listen, I don't want you two together."

"Please June-"

"Until after the championship. I don't want any distractions especially after all the training we've done."

I grinned at him and he did something I really didn't expect from him.

He hugged me.

I guess there's a first time for everything.

Yes I know sorta short but I thought I planned it pretty good. I hope the rest of you thought so too : ) Btw I decided to make it sort of heartwarming since my birthday is today. Love you guys <3.

Infinitely,
-Wishingwriting

P.S. that's my new way of signing out.