Chapter Seventeen: My Paradise

Normally I would be complaining, but I can't say I was disappointed.

"Like it?" He asked smiling.

"Can't believe I'm saying this but.. Yes."

He brought me to the beach. But not just any beach. My mom's beach.

That's right my mom actually owned a beach.

The one I haven't been to since I was 7.

But it's still exactly the same as 10 years ago.

Soft sand that covers your feet until they feel like their under a warm blanket,

The sparkling water that is high enough for a surf but low enough to go for a swim,

And of course the sun set that catches your eyes and makes you loose yourself in your thoughts.

Normally I would be sweating but it was nighttime, and let me tell you California nighttime is at around 65 degrees so it's just right.

The air had a nice breeze to it.

I closed my eyes and just let nature overwhelm my spirit and let go of all of the stress that was on my shoulders.

I could sense mark in a trance of somewhat a lot of mixed emotions.

Weird.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his face laced with concern.

"Yeah. What're you taking about?"

"Well I just said you're name twice and your eyes were closed and a smile was on your face. You looked... relaxed." He said giving me a smirk that somewhat looked sorta pained.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing." He said.

"Mark, trust me I'm good at reading emotions,and i know it's not nothing."

"It's just... This is the beach where I lost my sister."

There was a weird awkward silence between us.

"You had a sister?" I asked breaking the silence.

"Yeah." He said sitting down on the soft sand.

He patted his hand on the place next to him, motioning for me to sit down there.

"When I was 14 we came to this beach. It was my favorite place to visit. We would come here every weekend. My sister was 11. We were always tight. She was like you. She was just someone who didn't care about what people thought about her and did what she loved no matter who was against her, she spoke her mind in a way you'd think an adult would."

"What was her name?" I asked softly.

"Harper," he said "Harper Eve."

"One day we went swimming and .."

"You don't have to go on if you don't want to. I know how that feels like."

"And she got swept away by a wave and drowned."

Another awkward moment of silence passed.

"Listen, I know this must be a lot for you already and you probably don't want to hear it but, it has gotten better hasn't it?"

"Yeah it has." He said through a small sad smile.

"Then that's all that matters." I said smiling an actual genuine smile at him.

"No kiss?" He asked smirking.

I rolled my eyes and nudged his head hard enough so that it's wasnt really a nudge.

"Come on. I think you have an old friend to see."

..And maybe I even made a new one.

Aaaaaaaaa! It feels like it's been so long since I've even wrote something. This chapter may have of been short but you gotta admit it was interesting. Anyway I deeply apologize for updating over 3 weeks later, but after coming back from my spring break which by the way I was on vacation for, I had a lot of homework to catch up on so please excuse my lack of attention to you lovelies.
- Wishingwriting <3