|15|

Knock Myself Out

"So, what was that paper about?" Aspen asked as he leaned over my desk. I was working in my office, signing through the daily stack of paperwork.

I looked up from the thick, intimidating stack of papers. Sheets stuck out from the sides of the thick stack, annoying me. "What paper?" I sighed.

"You know... The one you hid from Maxon that I helped you hide? A few days ago?"

I looked back down to my paperwork, signing papers and and flipping through them. He was talking about the letter from the W.E.O. "Well, if you don't have anything better to do with your time, I guess I'll tell you. I still ended up showing it to Maxon."

"That ruins all the fun," Aspen frowned. I gave him a look and he grinned in response. We both sharply turned our heads to a frantic knocking on the closed door.

"Ames!" Maxon's voice rang on the other side. Aspen leaned against the window facing the palace grounds as I called Maxon in. Maxon slowed as he saw Aspen.

"Aspen," he shook hands with him.

"Your Majesty-- Maxon," Aspen corrected himself right before he bowed and excused himself. He winked at me before closing the door behind himself.

Maxon hopped onto my desk. "What did he want?"

"Oh you know... The usual." I moved the papers out of the way and stood up. I stood at Maxon's legs as he wrapped his arms around my waist. He cocked an eyebrow. "You know, gossip... About you mostly."

Maxon rolled his eyes. "Good things, I presume?"

"Well it is gossip... So not necessarily," I joked with him. I grabbed his collar and fit my lips onto his, feeling his smile against mine. We kissed for a minute, only moving our lips.

Once we stopped, Maxon offered me his elbow and we left my office to make it down to lunch.

Once we were seated at the table, Maxon started talking right away."Okay, I need this to be a half business lunch. We need to discuss a few things," he told me. Since we were sitting next to each other, I rubbed my foot against his leg.

"Why? What is so important?"

"The country. The future. Our heir," Maxon listed.

"What about the heir?" I asked. I leaned forward into the table, straightening my back.

"I just... Had this dream."

I smiled. "Okay. What happened?" I rested my foot on his ankle.

"Well, it was you and me. You were giving birth and out came... a girl." I thought it was funny how he was dreaming about our future child. Even I wasn't. Yet...

"Is there anything wrong with it being a girl?" I asked.

"No! No, no, no. I was just wondering, how would I do it? Girl or boy?" I was confused.

"Do what?"

"Teach them. Let them face the dangers of our country, the rebels."

"Oh Maxon," I shook my head. I took his hand above the table. "Surely the rebels will be gone by then."

Maxon looked over at me, and I could see how un-confident he was about it. He shook his head.

"OK, they definitely won't go away if we don't even hope they'll leave. Maxon, come on!"

"Anyways, the dream sped through her teenage life. And she had a selection! 30 men were here, winning the hand of our daughter!"

I decided to ignore him evading my point. I forced a laugh. "That's cute."