|6|

Finally, the Honeymoon

The soft hum of water filled the air as Maxon and I walked hand in hand to the stream. It was located on the West Wing of the castle, making a rift between the castle and the fields of green before the protection walls. Even with the gray cobblestone walls visible, a short distance away, the view was spectacular. The smell was too, who knew saltwater and pizza smelled so good?

Our picnic blanket was set up, pieces of stone holding down the edges. Maxon held my hand as I gracefully sat down, my jeans folding under me. I leaned my head on his shoulder as he broke the silence.

"I'm glad we're doing this," he murmured.

"Me too." He groaned. I considered asking him about it, and decided for it. "What?" I asked.

"No matter how hard I try, I keep thinking about our future. I want this to be a relaxing two weeks, not planning something else. Nor doing any work for that matter. And on top of that, I want to give you a full, real honeymoon. Not whatever this monstrosity is."

"Hey! I like this. And we can still plan the future, as long as we aren't going too in depth."

"Okay," Maxon chuckled.

"Do you want boys or girls for children?" I asked.

"A combination of both. How many children in total do you want?"

"I want... four," I said. I made it seem like I had this planned out since the beginning of time, but in reality, I just spit out a random number. If we still had the castes and I was with Aspen, I would've wanted less-- less mouths to feed. In this huge castle, I needed as many children as I could to fill the place up and make it less lonely during Maxon's office hours.

"Four," Maxon repeated. He pondered over it for a while, the sides of his mouth turning down in thought. "Yes. Four. How many of girls and boys of these four?"

"Um..." I pondered over how many girls I wanted. "I'm not sure. Two girls and two boys? To make it even?"

"I guess. When do you think we'll have them?"

"Within the next few years for sure. I promise you Maxon, we'll have a heir. No reason to worry."

"I trust you," Maxon said, tilting his head down so that the golden sunlight would catch into his dirty blonde hair.

I laid down even further, to the point where my head was laying on his legs, facing up at his face. I reached my fingers out to brush his cheek, to which he leaned into. "I like this."

"Me too."

"You don't," I contradicted him.

"What do you mean, my dear? Of course I'm enjoying--".

"You're still worrying about work." I sat up and moved my body so my legs were straddling him. I caressed his cheek. "Maxon," I chided."Just forget about it now. If you overthink it, the answer to whatever will never come to you. This way, when you get back, you'll have a fresh perspective and new ideas."

Maxon tapped my nose. "When did you get so smart?"

"Maxon," I jokingly rolled my eyes. "I've always been smart. You've just started to understand me." Maxon shook his head, grinning in the process.