|9|

Photography, the Gardener, Maxon, America, and Aspen

Shlick! The camera's lenses jerked before saving the photo into its memory. Maxon removed the black device from his eye and leaned away, looking at the leaf he had just taken a picture of. It was green, like the rest of the tree leaves, but it leaned out separately on a broken branch, making it stand out. 

"Oh god, I wish I could do this all day long." Maxon smiled sadly, before seeing me. I leaned my head to the side, in sympathy. 

"I wish you could too." Maxon nodded his head until it came to a stop. 

"Do you know why I love photography?"

"Why?" I asked, as he gestured for me to sit alone on a bench in the small garden we were shooting at. 

"It truly is the only thing that relaxes me."

I cocked an eyebrow. "The only thing?" His face fell for a second before I grinned. "I'm just teasing you." The camera snapped again, capturing my smile. I closed my eyes and laughed at his fast fingers, my hearing sharpening as he snapped another photo. 

"Oh yes!" I heard him say. I flickered my eyes open, as he stared intently at the screen. "These are definitely going in my private collection." 

"Oh. And where is this private collection of yours?" My interest suddenly soared. I hadn't heard of this private collection before. 

"I believe it is in my old room... If I'm not mistaken. You did go there too. Unless that was dream?"

"No," I chuckled. "It most certainly was not a dream. And I do remember. I just thought this was one I hadn't seen yet." 

"Hmm..." Maxon spun around a little. He faced me. "Do you want me to teach you the art of photography?" 

"Oh no," I honestly admitted. "I'm fine with just staring at you."

"Come here." He beckoned me closer and I stood. His arms enveloped around me and he placed the camera in my hands. 

"I know how to use a camera," I argued. 

"Oh really? Here, try."  I found the empty bench I had just sat on, and centered it on the camera screen. I placed the camera in front of my eyes and pressed the button.

"Here." I gave it back to him. He took it, the screen in front of both of us, and he pressed the button to show the preview. The photo turned out blurry, and something in the background was being focused on, instead of the empty bench. "What?" I screeched. 

"It looks better on the screen. Now, let me show you how the pro's do it. You wait for the camera to focus on it by pressing the button lightly, without pressing it all the way. Try what I just said." 

I took the camera, Maxon gently pushing it closer to my eye. I closed the other eye, and pressed the button lightly, watching how the picture went from a little blurry to a whole new clarity. Each spot fixed itself to a new color and weaved itself with another color. The camera made that noise again as the lens shuttered close to capture the image. My heart actually sped up, partially because I had finally taken a successful picture and also because Maxon was lightly holding my hips, his fingertips barely touching my skin.