|3|

The Announcement

I finished the last button on Maxon's dress shirt, giving him a kiss when I was done.

"We're going to do great, my dear," Maxon said with a smile. He pressed his lips to mine again, a kiss of promise and hope.

"I really hope so," I said, breaking away from him. After yesterday's celebration on the balcony, Maxon and I had agreed that we would summon the people below our castle (while we were on our balcony), where we would announce-- officially-- the demolished castes. We told the guards and they said they would send out a message to the people living in Illéa and to those who would be broadcasting it.

Maxon gave me one last kiss before grabbing my hand. His suit already buttoned and my knee-length white floral dress already zipped up, we walked hand in hand out the door and up the stairs to the balcony.

"Ready?" Maxon asked. I nodded my head. He captured my lips in another quick kiss. "You'll do great, My Queen." I laughed at the title, still momentarily shocking me. I'm a queen. I can do this. These are now my people. I can do this. You can do this America.

When the heavily armed guards opened the giant wooden doors, we were met with cheers louder than any I'd heard before. My arm draped through Maxon's, we walked to the edge of the pillared balcony, grinning down to colorful flags and banners with words such as "We love you Maxon and America!" One even said, "Marry me, America? Just Kidding!" That one was my favorite, I even pointed it out to Maxon, who's smile faltered for a second. I giggled before pressing my lips to his freshly shaven cheek.

A guard handed Maxon the microphone, to which he nodded his head in appreciation before raising his hand up to silence the crowd. It took a few moments for the people to calm down, but even so, I could hear excited tones and whispers up from my position above. Maxon cleared his throat to the side before starting. "My good people, of Illéa," he started as the crowd went wild again. He waited patiently before continuing on. "There comes a time when people look into the past and see the decisions they've made. Their parents have made. Or their grandparents." Maxon looked at me, I nodded, and he continued on. "There comes a time when you realize what was better for yourself was not for others. My people," Maxon took a deep breath. "I sincerely apologize for the actions of my predecessors, who so wrongly thought that a Caste system was the way and only way for you to be happy." Maxon closed his eyes before continuing. "I am proud to say that Illéa is no longer controlled by that system. There are no more eights, or twos. You can be whoever you want whenever you want." Maxon looked at the crowd as I did. Nothing happened for 10 seconds, 10 seconds that felt like 10 hours.

The crowd cheered 4 times as loud as earlier. Chills racked my body, not from the cold, but from being proud. Maxon and I grinned before embracing each other. He placed a powerful kiss on my lips as we stared in adoration at each other. I placed my hands on his chest and looked out to the crowd. Couples were holding each other and kissing. Women were crying in happiness at final freedom. I jumped a couple times before kissing Maxon twice more.

***

"Mer! Mer!" I turned around while walking through the hallway to find Aspen limping after me with his cane paces in front of him. I grinned as he ran up, bowed first, and then pulled me into an embrace. I sank into his arms before pulling away, glad to share my happiness with someone other than Maxon. Sometimes, a women just needed to take a break from her beloved. Speak to other men. Only speak. "How does it feel? To be Queen, I mean," he clarified.