Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next few days were a bit odd. Jana visited Mrs. Appleton's office again to ask her about the noises. The caster nurse said it was probably still just trapped water and it would evaporate and so would the noises. On the contrary the noises just kept getting louder. Jana could have sworn it sounded like someone whispering, but how could she be hearing someone whispering when no one was around? Margot and her minions had officially moved to share their lunch table. Without Marcel to divide the two girls, they had actually become pleasant with each other. Margot and Perry had apologized for the awful things they had done to Jana. They even had a brief moment over dying. Margot never intended to become a vampire. Frankly, she wasn't given a choice in the matter. At her old school she had actually been a bit of a nerd and a major control freak without many friends. Walking home after a math-olympiad meeting in the dusky hours that accompanied winter time, a strong man dressed in long black clothing had grabbed her. Her parents reported her missing and after an extensive search her body was found two days later. She was covered in her own blood, slash marks covering her body, she died of exsanguination. Her parents buried their only daughter. A few days later, what seemed like minutes to her, she awoke in a dark box. Talk about your worse nightmare. She screamed and pounded on the top of the box with no luck. After taking a moment to calm herself, Margot hit the top of the box with all her might. She heard the wood crack. That was the sound of hope. She hit the lid a couple more times with all of her force of will and dug her way through all of the dirt that fell in on her. In the light of the moon, she could see all of the gashes that had covered all of her skin had disappeared and she no longer needed her coke bottle lens glasses. She remembered being tortured to death. The man, apparently a vampire, tied her up in a cellar. She was suspended from the ceiling with buckets lined up underneath her. At first she had wondered what the buckets were for. This was one of many questions on a long laundry list in her head. She soon found out what they were for. He would slash her and watch the blood flow from the cuts, to be caught in the buckets. He got off on her screams and then the worse part happened. The sick bastard bit his own wrist and shoved it in her mouth and forced her to drink from him. That's how she became a made vampire. She couldn't go back home, her parents had already buried her. As far as everyone knew she was dead. She came here because she had no one left and no where left to go. She decided if she got this second chance she wouldn't be that mousy, dorky girl she had been those first 16 years. Her life would start now, when in most people's eyes it had ended. 

Perry had come to the school because she could never live up to her famous older brother, Perseus. The Perseus. Her parents sent her away because they were tired of dealing with their failure of a daughter. Perry never meant to kill Jana, she just wanted to scare her. Perry ended up being the one who really got scared though. When Jana's hair swirled away from her face, Perry saw her eyes closed. She realized Jana had stopped breathing. She didn't know what to do and ran off. She slipped an anonymous note under the door to Mrs. Appleton's office that someone had drowned in the pool, but by the time she found the note Andromeda had already revived her and they'd taken off. Margot tried to hold onto Marcel's hand and kiss him, but he seemed to have grown distant. Distracted maybe? Frustration clouded over Margot's face. In all honesty, Jana felt bad for Margot. She fought so hard to be with someone who didn't seem to care what might happen to her and she thought Margot might be starting to see that herself.

Andromeda seemed to have really dived back into her studies hard core after the party. She claimed she had been letting her personal life get in the way of her school work. She disappeared from lunch frequently to head to the library. Jana followed her to the library one day to ask her for help on a homework question she couldn't find the answer to. She noticed from afar Andromeda barely even cracked her book open. Is she avoiding something? Or someone? Mr. Mounts wanted them to start trying to expand their gifts in specialized studies. Stella sat with a white mouse in a cage in front of her. She was supposed to try to merge spirits with the mouse. Once merged with the mouse, she was supposed to try to control the mouse. All she needed to do was get the mouse to run on the wheel. When she would accomplish this they would move on to the next task. Xander was given a simple key padlock and it's inter-workings, he was supposed to unlock it without a key. Xander could move objects he could see but they wanted him to work on moving objects he couldn't see, like the tumblers inside of this lock. Jana's task was to try and bring on a precognitive vision on command. So far she had had no luck. The noises in her head kept distracting her from her task.