Chapter 37 -- A Little Peace

Start from the beginning

But I didn't feel like repeating the experience.

I thought back on all the recent strange events: I linked Stephen before I met him which was impossible, I became a Luna for some bizarre reason, then was able to glow and make the silver flame, then fought Death and the Moon Goddess saved me. I didn't defeat 'Death' or the evil ones, I knew that much. But I prevented Death's entrance, or delayed it for a while. Actually I figured that I mostly just pissed Death off.

A part of me knew there would be consequences and I shuddered slightly at the thought.

Coming back to myself I whispered, "Me too," in response to his question about being worried about me. Stephen stepped back and I turned and took his hand with a smile. It had been a week now since we made love, I just... couldn't. And Stephen didn't press me. He suggested spending some time on the yacht but I didn't want that. I wanted to run, I really wanted to run and run and run until I fell down exhausted.

As we walked down the stairs on the way to the Command Center, I asked him, "Stephen? I'd like to take the chopper and fly somewhere where I can run. I want to be free and away from all these people. I know it's selfish but it's what I want to do." Stephen looked at me and was silent while we walked through the hall and into the kitchen. People were packed there, and they became silent and bowed their heads. I just sighed, my own pack didn't know what to make of me. In the Command Center in the basement the Betas were sitting around a table waiting. When we walked in they all stood and bowed their heads out of respect. I just sighed and Stephen told them to be seated as he sat at the head of the table, with me beside him. The Betas normally bowed their heads but weren't so formal.

Stephen started the meeting and opened it up to ideas for how to deal with the 'pilgrims' that were squatting in our village and surrounding areas. It would be cold soon enough and we needed a solution.

Beta Wallace broke the silence first, "What exactly do the pilgrims want? Does anyone know?"

Stephen replied, "They want Danika to perform miracles." That stunned everyone.

Beta Wallace leaned forward looking at me, "Can you, Luna? Can you perform these miracles?"

I was stunned by his question, he knew me and knew I couldn't do any such thing. And then I realized that he wanted me to have these additional abilities to summon the Goddess. He wanted the connection again, I didn't understand this strange craving or obsession. I was actually repulsed by the idea.

"No," I replied. "All I can do is produce the silver flame and communicate with this pack." I opened my palm and the silver flame appeared. I closed my hand into a fist and the flame disappeared.

Beta Wallace watched this and nodded his head. "Have you tried?" he asked and then sat back.

Why no I hadn't thought of trying to establish the 'World Link' again. I actually didn't even want to try. "What good would that do?" I asked Beta Wallace. I was still trying hard to understand all of this.

"This is all new, Luna. Everyone wants that connection again, the connection that spans packs. We want that feeling of unity, of a world connected." Beta Wallace looked at me closely.

"Why?" I simply asked him.

Beta Wallace thought for a moment before speaking. "Besides the connection, Luna, we felt the power of the Moon Goddess, felt the strength of a million wolves merging together as one people. We all love our packs and this doesn't diminish that. But we all felt you, we all heard you, and we all saw the horrible images of the demons you were fighting." Beta Wallace took a deep breath.