Chapter 36 - The World Is Crazy

I heard some beeping sounds as I started to awaken. I realized I was breathing, I realized I was still alive. The room was darkened, but I could tell through my eyelids that there was a lamp on. I tried to open my eyes, but my lids felt very heavy so I stopped. I fell back asleep knowing I was still alive somewhere.

The next time I surfaced the room was brighter. I heard the beeping sounds again and this time I smelled the antiseptic scents of the infirmary. The beeping sounds must have been hospital monitors, and I felt my heavy limbs. I flexed my fingers and felt a hand in mine. I smiled, it must be Stephen. I made my eyelids open and looked around. I was thirsty and sore as hell, but I was alive. I breathed deep and slow, my ribs felt bruised and I coughed a little. I heard movement at my side as Stephen came into blurry view. Stephen! It was my Stephen and I smiled and tried to move.

"Danika, love!" Stephen looked down at me and brushed my hair from my face, "You're awake!" I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn't get any words out, my lips were chapped and throat absolutely dry.

"Hold on, love, I'll get you some water." He lifted me up by my shoulders and put a straw to my mouth. I sucked in a few times and the water felt glorious. My throat actually felt... burned maybe? That didn't make sense. I shook my head telling Stephen I was done and to let me lay down. He gently put me down and kissed my forehead.

I croaked out the words, "How long?"

Stephen smiled at me a little and replied, "Eight days, love. You've been in a coma eight days." I just breathed in and closed my eyes.

"Crap," I said and drifted off to sleep again. I wanted to say 'fuck', but didn't want to get in trouble, old habits were hard to break.

The next time I awoke it was dark, but the same beeping sounds and antiseptic smells surrounded me. I opened my eyes easier this time and just stared at the ceiling. I felt a little stronger and noticed there was a weight on my stomach. That was weird, and I reached out and felt silky hair. Smiling I realized that Stephen had fallen asleep on my stomach, probably not the best thing for a patient but I was glad for it, I felt soothed by his contact and I squeezed the hand he was gently holding.

I saw him raise his head and blinked a few times, smiling at me. He reached over and pressed the button to lift the bed up and put some water to my lips.

"Welcome back, love," he whispered and kissed my forehead again. "I've missed you, we've all missed you."

"How long?" I asked again softly.

"Well, you woke up this afternoon, this is day eight. And now it's the evening of the eighth day. God Danika, I was so worried!"

"Me too," I said and tried to sit up more. Every muscle screamed in pain and I cried out.

"Where does it hurt, love? I've summoned the doctor, she'll be here in just a few minutes and can get you something." I smiled at that and just looked at his face. I ignored his question because every single muscle hurt, and I raised my shaky hand and put it on his cheek.