"I told you once before, I can't talk about them." He looked away from me.

     "You can trust me. Please."

     "No! I can't! I can't trust anyone! I may trust you enough to look after my cabin but not about my past or mission. It's too dangerous."

     "You can't be out there alone! Who have you been staying with? How have you been taking care of yourself?"

     "You think I'm full of it, don't you? You're just like everyone else, but you have this idea that you're different. Well, guess what, Arabella? You aren't. You have no idea in hell what it's like to be different. You think you can fix me? I don't need fixing. I'm needed in something that's bigger than you can comprehend."

     I began to feel tears forming, but I knew I didn't have waterproof mascara on. There was no way I'd let those tears fall. "I just care about you. How could you say that?" My voice came out shaky.

     "Because you pushed me too far. Sorry, Arabella."

     And just like that, he disappeared into the crowd. Fighting back the tears was becoming more and more difficult. My eyes roamed the room for a friend when I spotted Avery with the witch. Even though I couldn't stand her, I didn't want to wreck his night, so I searched for Reed. Once I found him near the punch table, I ran into his arms.

     "Hey, whoa. What's wrong? I thought you ditched me for the creepy dude." He furrowed his eyebrows.

     "He left. He told me I was just like everyone else and then walked away from me." I said now ignoring the fact that my make up was being ruined by my sadness.

     "Oh God, I'm sorry. Want some punch? I spiked it." He winked.

     I giggled. "Of course you did. No, I'm fine. Hey, I'm sorry for ditching you. I was just so worried about him since he vanished out of thin air for the past two weeks."

     "No, don't be. I totally understand. Uh, do you wanna get out of here?" He asked.

     "But it's only been an hour. I don't want to ruin your prom."

     "Okay, how about we stay for another hour or two. If you still feel bad, we'll ditch this place."

     "Thanks, Reed." I smiled and wiped my tears away.

     We made our way to the dance floor and danced along with Daniela and Kade for awhile. It was kind of hard to enjoy myself, but I tried to focus more on my friends than what had happened. Darren was not my responsibility, and I couldn't let him wreck my night when he was the one who was being difficult. I asked like two simple questions out of worry and love. If that offended him so much, he's not who I thought he was.

     When the cupid shuffle came on everyone fled to the center of the gym. Even the kids who acted like they were too cool to dance even joined in. After that song, more group dance songs like the cha cha slide were played. Avery briefly talked to me and complimented my dress. I began to feel tired of being here and asked Reed if we could leave. He suggested we go to his house, but I knew what would happen if we did, so I insisted he take me home the that he could come in and hang for a while.

     The ride to my house was mostly silent with the radio softly playing. I looked out the window and became lost in my thoughts. I had gone against everything I stood for. Never let a guy blur your vision or waste your time. I wasted so much time on Darren that could've been used to better myself. I lied to my parents about spending the night at Daniela's! He's the reason I made out with Reed, the one guy I told myself I would never be even the slightest bit attracted to. Ever since he came into my life, nothing had made sense. It was time to let him go and forget. The only direction I can take from now on is the path that will lead me to success. California.