Chapter 4

There was no time to react. Sasuke's Sharingan had activated so fast and he had grabbed the girl in a death grip so fast, pressing a kunai against her back, and glaring at her with his doujutsu that Naruto and Sakura had barely seen it. The girls gasped and drew back. Naruto blinked and was about to start forward but Sakura grabbed his arm and hissed in pain. Her foot was bleeding. It had been stepped on by accident.

"Why should I? I think I have every right to hang around my own teammates." Sasuke said, so emotionlessly a chill passed through the air. Almost everyone - aside from Naruto and Sakura cause they had heard it so many times - shuddered violently.

"You're always being so mean and hurting Naruto Senpai." The girl bit out.

"Hora! What are you doing right in front of the Hokage's office?" Shikamaru snapped. "Disperse at once and good shodai, what the hell are you doing, Sasuke?" Sasuke let go of the girl who scrambled away and turned to Shikamaru, the most bone chilling smile on his face.

"Oh nothing, just taking care of a girl who punched my perfect face." Sasuke tucked him kunai back into his shirt. "Sakura, are you alright?" Naruto then remembered Sakura. He turned with wide eyes. Sakura offered them a smile and then bent down to heal her foot. Sasuke turned to Naruto and Naruto felt intimidated when Sasuke smirked at him. "Looks like someone's gotten pretty popular." Naruto stood up straight, somewhat pleased and somewhat horrified as well. What on earth was going on?

"Wow, those girls are scarier than Sasuke's fan girls. They were ready to punch an Uchiha in the face to protect Naruto." Sakura grinned.

"Oh, Naruto, congratulations on your promotion." Shikamaru said. Both Sasuke and Sakura gaped at Naruto.

"Promotion, what pomotion? Naruto's capable of getting a promotion?" Sakura blurted out.

"Ah, I rejected it." Naruto rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. Shikamaru sent him a lazy grin and for a moment he glanced at Sasuke.

"I knew you would anyway, ANBU doesn't suit you." Shikamaru said.

"ANBU?" Sakura erupted. "You were promoted to ANBU and you rejected it? Naruto, have you lost your brains? That's a step closer to Ho-" Sakura began and Naruto gave her a look.

"Do I look like I could ever handle ANBU, Sakura chan?" Naruto asked plainly. It hit Sakura like a fist and she had a look of fear on her face.

"No, no. Someone like you should never be in ANBU. It would destroy you." Sakura whispered. "You're too kind, too bright and too cheerful for ANBU."

"He wouldn't survive a day in ANBU." Sasuke snorted. "He's too soft for that."

"Was that a compliment, Sasuke?" Shikamaru asked with a raised eyebrow. Sasuke turned to glare at Shikamaru.

"An insult. Shinobi should not be weak emotionally like Naruto is." Sasuke said darkly. Naruto and Sakura looked in between Sasuke and Shikamaru in confusion wondering what was going on.

"You're slipping up. How un-Uchiha like. But then again, your patience must have worn thin over the years." Shikamaru smirked. Woah, Shikamaru just smirked! He was so good looking. Naruto and Sakura half expected to hear Temari strangling herself to death in a corner.

"You're too smart, Nara." Sasuke said with a cold smile.

"Why thank you. It's rather amusing watching the two of you and your dramatics." Shikamaru shrugged and walked past Sasuke. "Oh, and Naruto, you did pretty well last night. I've never seen anything like that." Shikamaru turned to Naruto, a genuine 'Shikamaru' smile on his face. Naruto and Sakura blinked.