Chapter 13--Calling Names

Start from the beginning

Below her, she could barely see how the grass became a blur because her eyes were prickling with moisture in the wind and some other emotion. Happiness.

After they could run no further, Gabby regretfully slowed the bay to a canter and eventually to a walk. The bay was sweating, foaming in the creases of his skin and wet under the saddle. Gabby was breathless, panting, as she held the reins in her hand. She’d never known she could do that and it felt powerful to know she could.

Reaching down, she stroked the bay’s wet neck. “Good boy. You are a very good boy.”

“That was amazing!”

Gabby jumped. She’d forgotten that Will was there. How had he even held on? Yet, there he was, staring open-mouthed at her and if he hadn’t had a frog’s lips he would still have had a grin wrapped from ear to ear. Aside from his outburst, he seemed to be unable to speak.

She, too, could not contain her smile.

The sound of an approaching horse made her look up and broke into the magic of the moment.

“Your Highness! Are you all right?” It wasn’t a page, but seemed to be one of the grooms a little higher on the equine totem pole, as he was dressed in a much nicer uniform. He was graying a little at the temples and wore an expression of unmasked worry. “We saw the horse take off and were so afraid that—“ he broke off.

Confidence. “No need to worry. I am fine. This horse is tired, though. Would you lead him back to the stable? I will walk back to the palace from here.” She could see that she was almost at the back doors of the palace, just to the east. They had come a long way.

Ignoring the groom’s astonished expression, she swung her leg back over the horse and lowered herself to the ground. She could feel that her hair was tousled as she stroked the bay one more time.

“I’ll see you soon, Liberazione,” she said, using the Italian word for Liberation. Gabby hoped that Will wouldn’t mind that she’d named the horse.

Liberazione nickered softly and nuzzled her cheek, his breath still coming in quick bursts.

Will hopped to the ground from the saddle, which seemed to puzzle the groom even more, and Gabby handed the reins over to the man. He continued to eye the frog. Apparently he had not gotten the decree about the princess’ new companion.

She’d only gone a few steps before remembering Isabella. Turning, she called out to the groom, “Will you see that my lady-in-waiting is brought back to the palace? I will wait for her in my chambers.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

 He gaped after her, unable to move for a few moments. For once, Princess Gabriella Persephone Almondine Jane didn’t mind.

Silence reigned until Will and Gabby crossed the threshold into the palace. The spell was broken and suddenly words gushed out. They talked over each other in their excitement.

“I can’t believe I did that!”

“I can’t believe you did that!”

They both laughed.

“No, really, you were phenomenal. I thought you said you couldn’t ride very well.”

“I didn’t think I could ride very well. I’ve never done that before.” She brushed a few wisps of hair out of her face. “My riding masters never let me go faster than a trot. They said it was unladylike.”

“Ha! If there were more ladies who rode like you did just now, maybe there would be fewer mistresses at court.”

Gabriella laughed. It pealed through the elaborately decorated corridor and bounced off the stuffy faces in the portraits. “That sounded like a compliment.”