Epilogue

Epilogue

"So are you going to go get your next badge now, Anthony?" I asked as we walked through Ilex Forest, picking berries with Celebi. My mom had insisted on Daniel staying back at the cabin to clean up his scrapes. He'd thrown a fit, but Amanda had stayed with him. Which gave me and Anthony some special bonding time with a, wait for it, Legendary Pokemon. Who was currently wriggling in delight as he ate berries. Pikachu was having a blast throwing them to see if Celebi could catch them. But really, if we're being honest, he cheated with Psychic sometimes.

"I would love to join all of you in the Johto League. Where were you planning on going after the League ends?"

"Hoenn."

"I'm tired of traveling on my own."

"We've always wanted you to come with us," I said, feeling a lot less awkward than I had before time traveling with him. He seemed a lot easier to talk to too. "You're a really cool guy. And a good friend. Thanks for looking after all of us. I know we're not always the easiest to be around."

"We?" Anthony repeated. "Speak for yourself."

I threw a handful of berries at him and he grinned. It was nice to see. He looked more his age when he was goofing off. And I was glad he felt comfortable enough to tease me.

I looked down at my full bucket. "Ready to go back?"

"Only if Celebi has had enough."

We looked up to find a berry stained Celebi hurling berries at Pikachu.

"Done?" I asked him.

He threw one at me. It bounced off my forehead.

"Done now?"

He laughed and sped back towards the cabin. Pikachu jumped onto my shoulder.

I put the bucket of berries down on the counter and rushed over to the living room couch where my mom was studying Daniel's arm. He seemed too preoccupied to notice me. "Misty, I'm fine. It's just a bruise."

"Let me at least put some of this cream on it. I packed first aid because I knew you'd come back a mess."

"I'm a growing boy. What did you expect?" he joked, then dropped his gaze to the backpack on the floor, frowning. I'd forgotten all about him having it. I still had no idea where it'd come from.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Misty asked quietly. "I don't think you told us everything before. And I was busy talking to Emma."

"No," he murmured. "I'm fine."

My mom touched his bruise one last time. He winced.

"Sorry." My mom stood up and smoothed his hair. Just like she did to me. She went down the hallway towards the bedrooms.

Daniel's face was sad until he noticed me standing behind the wall at the edge of the room. "Hey."

"Hey," I said shyly, opting to go sit next to him. I tried to ignore the backpack, which I had a lot of questions about. "How are you doing?"

"Fine. How's your throat?" he asked.

I put a finger over my mouth. "I didn't tell them."

"Yeah?" Daniel raised an eyebrow. "You have a giant bruise. How did you get away with your parents not knowing?"

"I told them I got it from something else." I waved it off. "Come on, Daniel. How are you?"

"I'm ok."

"You're a crumby liar."

"I wonder where I get that from." He smiled and gave me a knowing look.