Chapter 37: Trouble

Chapter 37: Trouble

"We're almost there guys," Brock said about an hour later.

"Good! Though it's been nice to stretch our legs," I said, feeling optimistic for the first time all day. My dad was back to his normal self, talking to everyone. That was a gift he had. His happiness could cheer up anyone.

"Come on Pikachu! Let's go find Celebi," Ash said, starting to run.

Pikachu bounded next to him.

"Hey, we haven't run in such a long time. Let's go." Daniel flew off. "I'll race you Em!"

"It doesn't count if you get a head start!" I yelled after him, scowling as I tried to catch up.

The forest was dense and running was more like an obstacle course over thick branches that didn't know they were supposed to be under the ground, not in the air.

Daniel had problems getting through a small person sized hole, which I instead climbed over.

"I'm stuck," he whined, pouting. It was pretty funny since he had taken a good amount of time squirming to get free.

I stuck my face a few inches away from his and smiled slyly. "Too bad. See you."

I turned and was about to start running, but something grabbed my ankle. I looked down to see Daniel's hand around it as he looked at me in pretend confusion. "Huh. I didn't know you needed this to run. Amazing how that works."

I wanted to kick him gently in the face, but didn't think I could ever be that mean, so instead I tried to shake myself loose to no avail.

"This is fun. Nice day, isn't it?" Daniel commented lightly.

"Let go!"

"Hey, guys?" Ash said.

I didn't like his wary tone. Daniel and I locked eyes before he let go of my ankle and I instantly grabbed his hands, pulling him free.

"What's up?" I asked as soon as we ran up with Ash. Then I saw.

A stone shrine was set up, but all around it, the trees and shrubs had all been charred and destroyed. I could smell the older smell of burnt wood. There weren't any signs of Pokemon around this area of the forest.

"This is pretty recently done," Daniel said, stepping over to the shrine. "Look. There are a few burnt marks along the stone. You can see where the moss used to be."

"So you think there was a fight here?" I asked.

"Why burn the stone?" His fingers traced the burns, coming away black. "We're the only ones who have been here since. And I feel like whoever did this is still here."

"Celebi's in danger?" Ash perked up. "We have to find him."

"We need to tell the others," Daniel said.

Before we could move, I heard a scream.

"Misty," Ash whispered, rushing off.

I didn't even think. I just ran.

A minute later, we came back to the place where Daniel had gotten stuck, finding Misty on the side nearest us, but with a Rhydon drilling through the tree, its horn inches from her. Her arm was caught awkwardly in a root above the ground. Ash ripped at the root, breaking it, and dragged her away as fast as he could. The Rhydon broke through the thick tree, the wood splintering with deafening cracks.

"Crikey, use Waterfall!" Daniel called as he threw his Poke Ball.

Crikey's light blue body seared forward, smashing into the Rhydon, who roared in anger.